[Return to introduction]
GEORGE S. BERRY
In the family of Mr. and Mrs. J. Taylor Berry were nine children, five sons and four daughters, all of whom are living, as follows: W. T. Berry, who is living in Merkel; Ellen F., the wife of John Bowyer of Abilene; George S.; J. T., residing in Cisco; Bettie H., the wife of J. W. Hampton of Abilene; Courtney S., who is living in Los Angeles, California; Alice S., of Abilene; Charles S., of El Oro, Mexico; and Frances C., the wife of Sam Wells of Abilene.
George S. Berry was a small boy when brought to Abilene by his parents. His early education was supplemented by study in the University of Texas at Austin, where he remained for three years and following the completion of his course he returned to Abilene, where he embarked in merchandising. Two years later he went with his father to Amarillo, Texas, and aided in locating that town. He was appointed postmaster of Amarillo under President Cleveland and remained there for two years. He was also associated with his father in the ownership and sale of a large amount of real estate but on account of his fatherís failing health he resigned his position as postmaster and after disposing of his realty interests to good advantage returned to Abilene to take care of his father, who, however, died shortly afterward. George S. Berry was appointed administrator of the estate, which he settled up to good advantage. He then accepted a position in the Abilene National Bank of which William Cameron was president and soon afterward Mr. Berry was made cashier, which position he filled for about six or seven years, resigning on the expiration of that period. He then removed to Merkel, where he opened a private bank under the name of Steffens, Lowdon & Company. Later Mr. Berry purchased the interest of his partners and changed the name to the Bank of Merkel. The institution was capitalized for twenty-five thousand dollars. In 1901 he organized the First National Bank of Merkel, liquidating the former bank and capitalizing the new institution for thirty thousand dollars. Mr. Berry owns a controlling interest in the stock and has served as cashier from the beginning. That success has attended the enterprise is shown by the fact that the capital stock was increased to fifty thousand dollars on January 2, 1903, and that there was a surplus of ten thousand dollars after paying six per cent semi-annual dividends form the date of organization. Again the capital stock was increased on the 2nd of January, 1905, to eighty thousand dollars, Mr. Berry still retaining the controlling interest and there are today surplus and undivided profits to the amount of twenty thousand dollars. Six years ago the smallest bank in Taylor county, it now the largest financial institution there, enjoying a constantly growing patronage and conducting all departments of banking. Mr. Berry is now president of the institution, which has made such a splendid record and is justly regarded as one of the safe and reliable financial concerns of the county. A man of resourceful business ability, he has extended his efforts into other fields of activity, and several enterprises have felt the stimulus and beneficial effect of his co-operation, wise counsel and sound judgment. He is a stockholder in the Merkel Hardware Company, which was incorporated and capitalized at twenty-five thousand dollars; is also a stockholder in the Farmers & Merchants Gin Company of Merkel; is a stockholder and director of the Fort Worth Iron & Steel Manufacturing Company of Fort Worth, Texas, capitalized at two hundred thousand dollars; and is treasurer of the Capps Land Company of Fort Worth, capitalized at thirty thousand dollars. On the 14th of June, 1905, Mr. Berry was elected treasurer of the Texas Bankers Association, which is indicative of his high standing and bespeaks his popularity in financial circles of Texas.
On the 10th of June, 1896, was celebrated the marriage of George S. Berry and Miss Evelyn Belcher, a native of Memphis, Tennessee, and unto them have been born a son and two daughters. Mr. Berry belongs to the Masonic fraternity and also is identified with the Elks and the Knights of Pythias, while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Episcopal church. Through his own unaided effort, strong purpose and laudable ambition guided by sound judgment he has achieved his present position at the head of a flourishing financial institution. He is a man of broad min, capable of seeing both sides of a proposition and he has the happy faculty of winning the confidence of men through his natural charm of manner fortified by untiring energy.
B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 415-416.
GenealogyMagazine.com - Copyright © 2000-2013 Datatrace Systems