A Genealogical Look at
Laura Ingalls Wilder:
Author of the nine classic volumes "Little House" books
By Myra Vanderpool Gormley and Rhonda R. McClure
Laura Ingalls was the daughter of Charles P. Ingalls and Caroline Lake Quiner.
Pictures of Laura's homes can be seen at
- Little House in the Big Woods
(Pepin, Pepin County, Wisconsin)
- Little House on the Prairie (Independence, Montgomery County, Kansas)
- On the Banks of Plum Creek (Walnut Grove, Redwood County, Minnesota). The Ingalls family moved here in 1874 and built a dugout
on banks of Plum Creek.
- Burr Oak, Winneshiek County, Iowa. The
Ingalls family moved here in 1876 after the grasshoppers destroyed their wheat crop in Minnesota.
- The Long Winter
and four other books (De Smet, Kingsbury County, South Dakota). The Ingalls family moved to De Smet in September 1879 from Walnut Grove, Minnesota. At the time it was Dakota
First Four Years was the last Little House book that Laura wrote. In 1894 Laura and Almanzo Wilder moved to near Mansfield in Wright County, Missouri.
It became their last home.
Descendants of Robert Ingalls
GENERATION NO. 1
ROBERT1 INGALLS was born ca. 1563-8, and died ca. 1617 in Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England. He married Elizabeth [?] ca. 1588.
Children of Robert Ingalls and Elizabeth [?]:
- Edmund2 Ingalls1, born 27 June 1585 in Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England; died 16 September 1648 in Lynn, Essex County, Massachusetts.2
- Robert Ingalls, born ca. 1592.
- Francis Ingalls, born ca. 1602; died ca. 1672 in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
- Some sources list Edmund Ingalls's christening as 26 June 1586 in St. Loedegar, Wyberton, Lincolnshire, England and his death as 16 September 1648 in Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts. However, Topographical Dictionary of New England, Emigrants from England to New England, FTM CD504, page 96, lists Skirbeck, Lincolnshire as the English parish origins of Edmond/Edmund Ingalls and on pages 156-157 its says Edmund Ingalls came from Lincolnshire, England, and settled at Lynn [Massachusetts] in 1629; died in 1648, having a wife Ann, and nine children.
- On page 2001 from Genealogical Guide to the Early Settlers of America portion of CD504, it notes that Edmund probably was killed by the breaking of bridge at Lynn, Massachusetts. While in the Early New England Settlers, 1600-1800s section it says he drowned in Saugus River in 1648. New England Families #2, FTM CD159, says Edmund Ingalls, immigrant ancestor, was the son of Robert and grandson of Henry Ingalls, and was born at Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England, about 1598. He came to Salem, Massachusetts, in Governor [John] Endicott's company in 1629, and with his brother, Francis, and four others settled in Lynn [Massachusetts], where they were the first settlers.
GENERATION NO. 2
EDMUND2 INGALLS (Robert1) was born 27 June 1586 in Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England, and died 16 September 1648 in Lynn, Essex County, Massachusetts. He married Ann Tripp, ca. 1618 in England, probably in Skirbeck, Lincolnshire.
Children of Edmund Ingalls and Ann Tripp:
- Robert3 Ingalls, born ca. 1620; died before 3 January 1698/99. He married Sarah Harker ca. 1646.
- Elizabeth Ingalls, born ca. 1620; died 9 June 1676.
- Faith Ingalls, born ca. 1624; died after 1691.
- John Ingalls, born ca. 1626. He married Elizabeth Barrett, 26 May 1667.
- Henry Ingalls, born 1627 in Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England; died 8 February 1717/18 in Andovoer, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Sarah Ingalls, born ca. 1628.
- Samuel Ingalls, born ca. 1634; died 30 August 1714 in Ipswich, Essex Coounty, Massachusetts. He married Ruth Eaton, 9 December 1656 in Ipswich, Essex County.
- Mary Ingalls, born ca. 1636. She married Ralph King before 1663.
GENERATION NO. 3
HENRY3 INGALLS (Edmund,2 Robert1) was born 1627 in Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England, and died 8 February 1717/18 in Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. He married (1) Mary Osgood3 6 July 1653 in Andover, Essex County, daughter of John Osgood and Sarah Booth. She was born 16 December 1686 in Andover. He married (2) Sarah (Farnham) Abbott, 1 August 1689.
3. "Marriages in Andover, from 1647 to 1700." New England Historical and Genealogical Register on CD-ROM, Volume 3 (January 1849), page 65, records the marriage thusly: Henry Engolls [sic] & Mary Osgood were married at Andover the 6 July 1653 by Mr. Simon Bradstreet.
Child of Henry Ingalls and Mary Osgood:
- Samuel4 Ingalls, born 3 October 1654 in Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts; died 11 August 1733 in Andover.
GENERATION NO. 4
SAMUEL4 INGALLS (Henry,3 Edmund,2 Robert,1) was born 3 October 1654 in Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts, and died August 11, 1733 in Andover. He married Sarah Hendrick, 4 June 1692,4 daughter of Daniel Hendrick and Mary Stockbridge. She was born 5 August 1661.
4. "Marriages in Andover, from 1647 to 1700." New England Historical and Genealogical Register on CD-ROM, Volume 3 (January 1849), page 67, records the marriage thusly: Samuel Ingalls & Sarah Hendrick married June 4, 1632.
GENERATION NO. 5
SAMUEL5 INGALLS (Samuel,4 Henry,3 Edmund,2 Robert1) was born 7 May 1683 in Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts, and died ca. 1760. He married Mary Watts, ca. 1710, daughter of Samuel Watts and Elizabeth Ayer. She was born 27 June 1687 and died after 171.
Child of Samuel Ingalls and Mary Watts:
- Timothy6 Ingalls, born 20 April 1720 in Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetets.
GENERATION NO. 6
TIMOTHY6 INGALLS (Samuel,5 Samuel,4 Henry,3 Edmund,2 Robert1), was born 20 April 1720 in Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusets.
Child of Timothy Ingalls:
- Jonathan7 Ingalls, born 1750 in Sandown, Rockingham County, New Hampshire; died ca. 1834.
GENERATION NO. 7
JONATHAN7 INGALLS (Timothy,6 Samuel,5 Samuel,4 Henry,3 Edmund,2 Robert1), was born 1750 in Sandown, Rockingham County, New Hampshire, and died ca. 1834. He married Martha Jane Locke 1769. She was born 1753 in Grafton, Grafton County, New Hampshire, and died 1785.
Child of Jonathan Ingalls and Martha Locke:
- Samuel8 Ingalls, born 11 July 1771; died 15 February 1841.
GENERATION NO. 8
SAMUEL8 INGALLS (Jonathan,7 Timothy,6 Samuel,5 Samuel,4 Henry,3 Edmund,2 Robert1), was born 11 July 1771, and died 15 February 1841. He married Margaret Delano, 1793 in Canada, daughter of Jonathan Delano and Anne Ladd. She was born 1773 and died 6 May 1837.
Children of Samuel Ingalls and Margaret Delano:
- Hiram9Ingalls, born 1800.
- Aaron Ingalls, born 27 February 1802.
- Benjamin Ingalls, born 18 October 1804.
- John W. Ingalls, born 31 December 1806.
- Samuel Worthen Ingalls, born 28 June 1808 in Allegany County, New York; died 20 May 1861 in Fairfield, Grundy County, Iowa. He married Unity Jackman before 1830.
- Lansford Whiting Ingalls, born 12 November 1812 in Canada; died 1896 in Pepin, Pepin County, Wisconsin.
GENERATION NO. 9
LANSFORD WHITING9 INGALLS (Samuel,8 Jonathan,7
Timothy,6 Samuel,5 Samuel,4 Henry,3 Edmund,2 Robert1), was born 12 November 1812 in Canada, and died 1896 in Pepin, Pepin County, Wisconsin. He married Laura Louise Colby, 1832 in Holland, Erie County, New York, daughter of Nathan Colby and Eunice Blood. She was born 5 November 1810 in Vermont, and died 18 October 1883 in Pepin, Pepin County.
Children of Lansford Ingalls and Laura Colby:
- Peter Riley10 Ingalls, born 1833; died 1900. He married Eliza Ann Quiner, 1861; born 1842; died 1931.
- [unnamed] Ingalls, born 1835; died 1835.
- Charles Phillip Ingalls, born 10 January 1836 in Cuba, Allegany County, New York; died 8 June 1902 in De Smet, Kingsbury County, South Dakota.
- Lydia Louise Ingalls, born 1838; died 1913. She married (1) Isaiah Clough before 1857. She married (2) Joseph Stouff 1859.
- Polly Melona Ingalls, born 1840; died 1886. She married Henry Odin Quiner 1859; born 1835; died 1880.
- Lansford James Ingalls, born 1842; died 1928. He married (1) Sarah Dickinson ca. 1866; He married (2) Mary Dickinson after 1897.
- Laura Ladocia Ingalls, born 1845; died 1918. She married (1) L. D. Walvogel before 1866. She married (2) Hiram Forbes 1875.
- Hiram Lemuel Ingalls, born 27 April 1848 in Illinois; died 28 March 1923. He married (1) Sarah Elizabeth Woodward 8 October 1867. He married (2) Ellen Parker 27 February 1919.
- George Whitting Ingalls, born 1851; died 1901.
- Ruby Ingalls, born 1855; died 1881.
GENERATION NO. 10
CHARLES PHILLIP10 INGALLS (Lansford Whiting,9 Samuel,8 Jonathan,7
Timothy,6 Samuel,5 Samuel,4 Henry,3 Edmund,2 Robert1), was born 10 January 1836 in Cuba, Allegany County, New York, and died 8 June 1902 in De Smet, Kingsbury County, South Dakota. He married Caroline Lake Quiner, 1 February 1860 in Concord, Jefferson County, Wisconsin, daughter of Henry Quiner and Charlotte Tucker. She was born 12 December 1839 in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, and died 20 April 1923 in De Smet, Kingsbury County, South Dakota.
[See the entangled
branches of the Ingalls and Quiners]
Children of Charles Ingalls and Caroline Quiner:
- Mary Amelia11 Ingalls, born 10 January 1865 in Pepin County, Wisconsin; died 17 October 1928 in Pennington County, South Dakota.
- Laura Elizabeth Ingalls, born 7 February 1867 in Pepin County, Wisconsin; died 10 February 1957 in Mansfield, Wright County, Missouri.
- Caroline Celestia Ingalls, born 3 August 1870 in Montgomery County, Kansas; died 2 June 1946 in Pennington County, South Dakota. She married David Swanzey 1 August 1912.
- Charles Frederic Ingalls, born 1 November 1875 in Redwood County, Minnesota; died 27 August 1876 in Wabasha County, Minnesota.
- Grace Pearl Ingalls, born 23 May 1877 in Winneshiek County, Iowa; died 10 November 1941 in Kingsbury County, South Dakota. She married Nathan William Dow 16 October 1901.
GENERATION NO. 11
(Charles Phillip,10 Lansford Whiting9,
Timothy,6 Samuel,5 Samuel,4 Henry,3 Edmund,2 Robert1), born 7 February 1867 in Pepin County, Wisconsin, and died 10 February 1957 in Mansfield, Wright County, Missouri. She married Almanzo James Wilder 25 August 1885 in De Smet, Kingsbury, Dakota Territory. He was born 13 February 1857 in Malone, Franklin County, New York, and died 23 October 1949 in Mansfield, Wright County, Missouri.
[See the Last Will and Testament of Laura Ingalls Wilder and Almanzo Wilder]
Child of Laura Elizabeth Ingalls and Almanzo James Wilder:
- Rose12 Wilder, born 5 December 1886 in Kingsbury County, South Dakota; died 30 October 1968 in Danbury, Fairfield County, Connecticut. She married Claire Gillette Lane 24 March 1909, in San Francisco, San Francisco County, California, divorced in 1918; d.s.p.
This genealogical information has been compiled from the following secondary sources: Ancestral File (ver. 4.19), International Genealogical Index, FamilySearch, The Genealogy of Almanzo and Laura Ingalls Wilder, plus from additional research conducted by Rhonda McClure and Myra Vanderpool Gormley, CG, in New England Historical and Genealogical Register
Register (CD-ROM), Clarence Almon Torrey, New England Marriages Prior to 1700 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1985), certain U.S. censuses shown below, Homestead records, the autobiographical sketch of Rose Wilder Lane (part of American Life Histories: manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940), from The Definitive Laura Ingalls Wilder Pages (created by Jennifer Slegg), and from the Laura Ingalls Wilder: Frontier Girl Web site. Information about the pioneering journeys of the Ingalls Family can be found at the National Archives and Records Administration's Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum.
N. B. There are some discrepancies in the material that need to be resolved and like all compiled genealogies no doubt there are errors and conflicting facts. Researchers should always check primary sources and good secondary sources for themselves.
The Wilders and Ingalls in Selected U.S. Censuses
- 1920 Missouri. Wright County, Pleasant Valley Township. NARS T-625, Roll 966; E.D. 154, page 4B, line 78.
Almanzo J. Wilder, age 51, born New York.
Laura E. Wilder, age 54, born Wisconsin.
- 1910 Missouri. Wright County, Mansfield. (Miracode W436: 129 0142 0020). NARS. T1270, Roll 274.
Almezo [sic] J. Wilder, husband, 51, born New York.
Laura A. Wilder, wife, 41, born Wisconsin.
Rose Wilder, daughter, 22, born South Dakota.
- 1900 Missouri. Wright County, Pleasant Valley Township, Mansfield. NARS T623, Roll 908. E.D. 152, sheet 2A, line 42.
A. J. Wilder, born Feb. 1861, New York, 39.
Laura Wilder, born Feb. 1868, Wisconsin, 32.
Rose Wilder, born Dec. 1886, South Dakota, 13.
- 1900 South Dakota. Kingsbury County, De Smet Township, E.D. 206, page 8A, line 41. NARS T623, Roll 1550.
Chas. P. Ingalls, born Jan. 1837, New York, 63.
Caroline L. Ingalls, wife, born Dec. 1839, Wisconsin, 60.
Mary A. Ingalls, daughter, born Aug. 1875, Kansas, 24.
Grace P., daughter, born May 1878 Iowa, 22.
- 1880 Dakota Territory, De Smet, Kingsbury County, NARS, T9, Roll 113, E.D. 87, S.D. 15, pages 146a and 147c.
Shows Ingalls and Wilder families.
- 1870 Kansas, Rutland Township, Montgomery County, NARS M593, Roll 439, page 636A and B, line 37.
Enumerated as C. P. Ingles.
- 1860 Wisconsin, Concord, Jefferson County. NARS M653, Roll 1413, page 63A, line 26.
Enumerated as Lansford Ingles.
- 1850 Illinois, Kane County. NARS M432, Roll 112.
Enumerated as Lansford Ingals.
Visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society
* * * * * *