A Glimpse at Paul Revere's Ancestry
- Paul Revere, b. 1 Jan. 1735, Boston, Essex Co. Mass. - d. 10 May 1818, Boston; m. 4 Aug. 1757, to Sarah Orne (1736-1773)
- Apollo Rivoire [later Paul Revere], b. 1702, Riocaud, France - d. 1754; m. 19 Jun. 1729.
- Deborah Hitchbourne, b. 1704 - d. 1771.
- Isaac Rivoire, b. 1660 - d. 1741; m. 1694
- Serčne Lambert
- Thomas Hitchbourn, b. 1673 - d. 1731
- Francis Pattishall, b. 1679 - d. 1749
- Jean Rivoire, b. ca. 1632
- Magdaeleine Malapogne
- [?] Lambert
- Thomas Hitchbourne
- Ruth [?]
- Capt. Richard Pattishall, d. 1689
- Martha Woody, b. 1651 - d. 1718.
Patriot Paul Revere was the third son of a Huguenot father, Apollo Rivoire, and a New England mother, Deborah Hitchbourne. "Huguenot names were not easily managed by the stiff Puritan tongues of the pre-Revolutionary period," wrote Mary Caroline Crawford. Thus, the father of Paul Revere Americanized his name around the time of his marriage to Deborah Hitchbourne, of Boston, on 19 June 1729.1 Apollos Rivoire was the son of Isaac Rivoire and Serčne Lambert, and the grandson of Jean Rivoire and Magdaeleine Malapogne.2 For additional details about this family, see Paul Revere's Ancestry.
NOTES AND REFERENCES
- Mary Caroline Crawford, Old Boston & Ways: From the Dawn of the Revolution Until the Town Became a City (Boston: Little, Brown & Co, 1909), p. 110.
J. Lebatut, "Some New Information About the Ancestry of Paul Revere, New England Historic and Genealogical Register, Vol. CXLIII (July, 1990), Whole No. 571, pp. 234-235. The same periodical also published two other articles on the Revere genealogy: Donald M. Nielsen, "The Revere Family," in Vol. 145 (October, 1991), No. 4; and André
J. and Pamela Labatut, "Paul Revere's Paternal Ancestry," in Volume 150 (July, 1996), No. 3.