ALBERT G. NOBLE, a merchant of Preston, well known in the business life of Grayson county and occupying an enviable position in public regard by reason of his trustworthiness as well as his business enterprise, is a native son of Collin county, Texas, born on the 10th of June, 1856. His paternal grandfather, John S. Noble, was born in the state of Kentucky and came to Indian Territory in 1848 as a missionary to the Choctaw Indians. He taught in Robinson’s Academy in the Choctaw Nation for many years and also engaged in preaching the gospel, teaching and preaching to the red men in their native tongue. In later years he removed to Collin county, Texas, settling first at what was known as Sister Grove, while later he removed to the western part of the county, taking up his abode nine miles west of McKinney. There he followed stock raising and farming on an extensive scale, dealing largely in mules, which he shipped to Tennessee, Kentucky and other states. He would sell them on time and the next year would take more to the markets and collect for those that he had sold the previous year. He married Miss Lucy Willock, a native of Monticello, Kentucky. Mr. Noble passed away in 1886 at the age of seventy-three years, his birth having occurred in March, 1813, but his widow is still living and now makes her home with her children. In the family were thirteen children, of whom ten are yet living, namely: Margaret, the wife of G. R. Buchanan, of Pilot Point; John, who is living in Crosby county, Texas; Emma, the wife of Frank Michaels, a resident of Denton county, Texas; Albert G., of this review; William S., who makes his home in Nashville, Tennessee; Laura, the wife of J. G. Mullins, of Antelope, Texas; George B., a resident of Poteau, Indian Territory; A. S. Noble, Preston, Texas; Florence, the wife of G. D. Galloway, of Leonard, Texas; and Ermine P., the wife of Dr. J. J. Pedergrast, of Leonard.
Albert G. Noble was reared upon his father’s farm and assisted him in the business interests and efforts until he came to Preston Bend in December, 1880. Here he engaged in teaching school for twelve years, but later removed to a farm and purchased the gin at Preston, being identified with general agricultural pursuits and also the ginning business. Subsequently, however, he turned his attention to merchandising under the firm style of A. G. Noble & Company and has since been the leading factor in commercial circles in his town, building up a good trade and winning a patronage that annually returns to him a gratifying income.
Mr. Noble has been married twice. In Collin county, on the 14th day of September, 1877, he wedded, on the 14th of September, 1877, he wedded Miss Nannie Stellser, and they had four children, of whom three are living. E. Russell, who died at the age of twenty-one years, married Cassie Smith, of Paris, Texas; Annie is the wife of Guy Roberts, of California, and has one child, Noble; Simmie and Sophia, the younger members of the family, are at home. All were born in Grayson county. The wife and mother died January 10, 1890, when thirty-four years of age. On the 26th of October, 1892, Mr. Noble was again married, his second union being with Sally Wilson, a native of Missouri, and they have three children, Margaret, Harry K. and Albert G.
For the past sixteen years Mr. Noble has been a notary public and he was appointed postmaster of Preston in March, 1904, which office he is now filling. In politics he has always been a Democrat and he is one of the prominent citizens of his locality, highly esteemed for his genuine worth. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity in Pottsboro, belonging to Lodge No. 396, and he has also taken the degrees of the chapter and of the community. He joined the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Pottsboro, Texas, has filled its offices, and for the last seven years he has been a member of the Woodmen of the World. A typical son of Texas, he has kept in touch with the progress that has characterized the great southwest and it thoroughly imbued with the spirit of enterprise and advancement that have been so characteristic of this section of the country since the early pioneers reclaimed it for the purposes of civilization.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 713-714.