B. E. SPARKS is connected with one of the strongest land agencies of Texas, being the junior partner of the well known firm of Buie & Sparks. He is a native son of this state, his birth having occurred about six miles north of Waco in McLennan county, April 25, 1858. His father, James Hawkins Sparks,was a native of Holmes county, Mississippi, and came to Texas in 1833, being among the first settlers to locate within the borders of Nacogdoches county. In 1850 he removed to McLennan county and was among its pioneer residents. He established the first drug store in Waco, employing an experienced man to conduct it. He also engaged in general merchandising, having stores at Douglas and at Marshall, Texas. During that period he made his home in Douglas but subsequently he went to western Texas and settled in McLennan county, where he opened a general mercantile store upon his farm. It was about this time that he established the first drug store in Waco. He had a wide acquaintance throughout the state and was liked by all who knew him because of his reliability in business, his genial manner, kindly disposition and interest in the welfare of others. He was married three times, the last time after coming to Texas. This was to Miss Eleanor Elizabeth McKnight, a native of Tennessee and by this marriage were seven children, all of whom reached years of maturity.
Beverly Edgar Sparks was reared upon his father’s farm up to the time he was fourteen years of age. His parents then removed to Tehuacana, Limestone county, for the purpose of giving their children the advantages of a better education, and there Mr. Sparks attended school for seven years. He was afterward married, on the 22nd of June, 1880, to Miss Annie Lelia Jones, of Limestone county, Texas, and in the fall of the same year they returned to McLennan county, settling upon the old home place. Mr. Sparks took charge of the place and managed it until his father’s death and for seven years afterward or until his mother’s death. During the last three years of his residence upon the farm he was also engaged in the stock business on quite an extensive scale. He had men in various parts of the country buying stock for him, some of which was shipped to outside markets, while the young stock was sold to nearby ranges. In the fall of 1891 he gave his entire attention to the stock business.
Prominent in public affairs, Mr. Sparks has been called to a number of offices and in 1892 was elected district clerk of the nineteenth district and in the spring of 1893 the state legislature created another district, No. 54, and Mr. Sparks was clerk of both courts for years from that time, being again elected in 1894. Subsequent to this time he was engaged in the cotton business at Waco for two years and subsequently removed to his farm north of Waco, where he remained until the time of his removal to Jones county. It was in 1901 that he sold his farm north of Waco, where he remained until the time of his removal to Jones county. It was in 1901 that he sold his farms in McLennan county and came to Jones county, settling in Stamford. In October of the same year he entered into partnership with Judge L. M. Buie under the firm style of Buie & Sparks. This is undoubtedly one of the strongest land agencies of Jones county, as they have been conducting a large and increasing business from the time the firm was first organized. This is largely due to Mr. Sparks’ broad experience concerning lands and his affable and courteous treatment to his patrons or those who call to see him upon business. On the organization of the Citizens National Bank of Stamford, February 28, 1905, Mr. Sparks become [sic] one of its directors.
The Sparks family consists of six children, five sons and a daughter.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. I, p. 588.