BARNEY G. GIBSON, one of the leading farmers of Montague county, Texas, was born in Meigs county, East Tennessee, October 4, 1855, son of Randall and Sarah (Brady) Gibson, both natives of Tennessee and members of representative families of that state.
Farrell Brady, Mr. Gibson’s maternal grandfather, was a pioneer settler of Tennessee; owned a large plantation and many slaves; was a consistent member of the Primitive Baptist church, and a highly respected citizen. He died in Tennessee at the ripe age of eighty-five years. In his family were the following children, namely: Sarah, Polly, Betty, Polk, Sellers, Smith and Charles. Randall Gibson, after his marriage to Sarah Brady, settled on a Tennessee farm, where he prospered until the war of the rebellion interrupted the various industries of the country, especially farming on the border states. Both armies foraged form him, devastated his farm and left him financially ruined. While a southern man and a sympathizer with the southern cause, he did not on account of age, taken an active part in the war, but two of his sons, James and Charles, served all through the struggle as Confederate soldiers. After the war he continued to reside on his farm and tried to replenish his wasted fortunes and he remained there until 1881, when, his children all gone, he sold out and came to Texas, locating in Fannin county, where he bought a tract of land and for a few years carried on farming operations extensively. Here he died in 1891. Of his children, we record that James died in Arkansas; Charles died in Fannin county, Texas; Lizzie is the wife of a Mr. Asbury; Farrell is a resident of Gibson county, Texas; Smith died in Tennessee; Hiram lives in the state of Washington; Mary is the wife of C. Hackleman; and the youngest, Barney G., is the direct subject of this review.
Barney G. Gibson spent his first sixteen years on his father’s farm in Tennessee. Then in 1871 he came to Texas, stopping first in Fannin county, where he secured employment as a farm hand, and was thus occupied for six years. In 1877 he married and settled on a rented farm. Five years later he came to Montague county. Here he bought a small farm on which he lived eleven years, then sold it and bought the six hundred acres of land on which he has since lived. To the few improvements that had been made here at the time of his purchase, Mr. Gibson has added until he now has a valuable, well-improved farm. He has built a commodious residence, has two tenant houses and other good farm buildings, and has two hundred acres of his land under cultivation, the rest being used for stock purposes. He also has a fine orchard.
Like his father before him, Mr. Gibson is a Democrat, and has never sought or filled public office, preferring to give his time and attention to his own private affairs. He and his family are members of the Missionary Baptist church, in which he is a deacon.
Mrs. Gibson was before her marriage Miss Margaret Wriston. She was born in Kentucky, daughter of Reuben and Venetta Wriston, both natives of Kentucky, who came with their family to Texas at an early day and located in Tarrant county, whence they subsequently moved to Fannin county. In each of these counties Mr. Wriston improved a farm, and on the latter one he died. Both he and his wife were members of the Baptist church. Their children, five in number, are as follows: Clay, Mrs. Jane Bell, Mrs. Emaline Chidix, Lewis and Mrs. Margaret Gibson. Barney G. and Margaret Gibson have six children: Charles; Josephine, wife of J. Eller; Ladora, wife of J. Ashford; Hattie, wife of O. Hutchison, and Minnie and Effa, at home.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 79-80.