BENJAMIN F. ANDREWS, deceased, at one time a well-known and representative citizen of Tarrant county, having resided near Birdville, died on the 2nd of July, 1894. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, on the 21st of March, 1826, and was a son of John and Hannah Andrews, who were also natives of England. When their son was three years of age they crossed the briny deep to the new world, landing at New York City, where they resided for a short time. They afterward went to Illinois, in which state Benjamin F. Andrews spent the greater part of his childhood and youth, acquiring his education in the public schools there. He was first married in Illinois to Miss Mary Ray, a native of that state, and of the children born of their union six are yet living: William P., who makes his home in Georgia; Benjamin A., living in southern Texas; Robert whose home is in Parker county, this state; Thomas J., who makes his home at Grapevine, Texas; Lorenzo J., who is living in southern Texas; Mary E., the wife of James M. Shults of southern Texas. On the 11th of July, 1869, Mr. Andrews was again married, his second wife being Miss Caroline Burgoon, who was born in Morgan county, Ohio, November 12, 1836, and was a daughter of Charles and Mary (Giger) Burgoon, both of whom were natives of Baltimore, Maryland. Of the children of this marriage only one is living, Charles H., who is residing upon the old home farm near Birdville.
Mr. Andrews of this review came to Tarrant county, Texas, in 1847 and located first near the site of Fort Worth, where he lived for a short time. He afterward settled on a farm near Birdville, where his remaining days were passed, his attention being given to general agricultural pursuits, his well directed labors bringing him a fair measure of prosperity. In his death Tarrant county lost one of its best known and most highly esteemed pioneer citizens. He did much to lay broad and strong the foundation upon which the present prosperity and progress of the county has been built. In his political views he was an earnest Democrat and for a time served as justice of the peace, discharging his duties with fairness and impartiality. His many excellent traits of character gained for him the esteem of all who knew him and his life was in harmony with the precepts of Masonry, his connection with the fraternity being as a member of the lodge at Smithfield. His widow, still surviving him, now resides near Birdville. She came to Tarrant county early in the ’50s and is among the honored pioneer women of this section of the state. She belongs to the Baptist church at Birdville and her kindly spirit, genial disposition and ready sympathy have gained her many friends.
Charles H. Andrews, the only son of this worthy couple, now resides upon the old family homestead near Birdville and is one of Tarrant county’s native citizens, his birth having here occurred on the 3rd of April, 1874. He was reared in this county and from his youth to the present time has been engaged in general agricultural pursuits. Whatever he undertakes he carries forward to successful completion and the well improved appearance of his farm indicates his general supervision, his practical methods and his unfaltering enterprise.
On the 1st of May, 1895, Mr. Andrews was married to Miss Lucy E. Merrell, who was born in Dallas county, Texas, and is a daughter of Eli Merrell, now of southern Texas. They have become the parents of four children: Charles F., Eli Merrell, Earl J. and Harry Carl.
In his political affiliation Charles H. Andrews is a Democrat, while fraternally he is connected with the Masonic lodge at Smithfield, also with the Woodmen of the World at Fort Worth. He has a wide and favorable acquaintance in the community where he has always made his home, and while carefully conducting his private business interests he at the same time co- operates in many measures for the general good.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. I, pp. 401-402.