CAPTAIN HENRY F. STACY, sewer inspector in the city engineering department in El Paso, was born near Cearcy, White county, Arkansas, August 22, 1841, his parents being Byron and Elizabeth (Royl) Stacy. The father was born in Tennessee and was one of the early settlers of White county, Arkansas, where he became a successful farmer and cotton planter, his trading point being Little Rock until the town of Cearcy was established and grew into some commercial importance. His death occurred in White county in 1844, while his wife, who was also a native of Tennessee, died in Hill county, Texas.
Following the loss of her fist husband, Mrs. Stacy married again, and with his mother and stepfather Mr. Stacy of this review came to Texas in 1856, reaching Bastrop county on the 26th of December of that year. There he resided until after the outbreak of the Civil war between the northern and southern states, when, in 1861, he enlisted at the call of the south and became a member of Company D, Twelfth Texas Cavalry, commanded by Colonel W. H. Parsons, under whom he served throughout the entire war. This regiment was attached to the Trans-Mississippi department and aided in the military operations in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, taking part in thirty-seven pitched battles in the camp against Banks when the latter was trying to ascend the Red river. Captain Stacy is said by his comrades to have been a soldier of greatest courage and ability, never faltering in the performance of any duty, but fearlessly defending the cause which he had espoused until hostilities were over.
When the war was ended Captain Stacy returned to Bastrop county, where he remained until about 1872, when he started westward. Gradually he continued his way toward the setting sun and was largely engaged in dealing in horses at the various places where he stopped for any length of time. At length he reached El Paso in 1881, casting in his lot with its early settlers and has since maintained his residence here. For about twelve years he was engaged in the teaming business and during the administration of Mayor B. F. Hammett he was appointed inspector of sewers in the city engineer’s department, which position he has since filled with ability and satisfaction. He is well known in official circles in El Paso and his worth is acknowledged by all who are familiar with his services. He likewise has real estate interests in El Paso, having made judicious investment of his means in property here which has greatly appreciated in value, owing to the rapid growth of the city.
In 1883, in El Paso, Captain Stacy was married to Miss Clara Jane Dargitz, and they now have two daughters and a son: Mrs. Lydia Belle Taylor, of this city; Mrs. Minnie Alice Rader, of Del Rio; and Arthur Lee Stacy. Captain Stacy is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Improved Order of Red Men, the Woodmen of the World, Woodman Circle, and the Pioneer Association of El Paso, and is also captain of John C. Brown Camp, No. 486, United Confederate Veterans. He has a wide and favorable acquaintance in the city which has now been his home for a quarter of a century and the circle of his friends has constantly broadened as the circle of his acquaintance has extended.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 509-510.