Charles M. Clark, 1302 East State street, Rockford, was born February 11, 1854, on a farm in the town of New Milford. Mr. Clark’s whole life has been identified with Winnebago county, and since he was eight years of age with the city of Rockford, where he received his education and grew to manhood.
In 1874 he was married to Jennie E. Lake, a daughter of John Lake, who was one of the early settlers of the county, as was also Mr. Clark’s father, James H. Clark, who settled in the town of New Milford in 1844, removing to Rockford in 1862.
Mr. Clark identified himself in business with a former classmate, Robert Rew, and for a good many years conducted a large and successful real estate business under the firm name of Rew & Clark. Mr. Clark has been quite successful; has an elegant home, and, having retired from business, is enjoying the fruits of his labors.
Mr. and Mrs. Clark have one child, a daughter, Alice E., wife of Max Heiliger, assistant manager of the Rockford Edison Electric Light Company.
Source: Charles A. Church, Past and Present of the City of Rockford and Winnebago County County, Illinois (Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1905), p. 640.