CHARLES W. HOBBS, whose name figures conspicuously on the commercial records of San Angelo, where he is operating as a wool commission merchant and banker, was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, his parents being Edmond and Arabella (Lamby) Hobbs. The father was born in England, and when twelve years of age came to the United States, making his home some time thereafter at Wheeling, West Virginia. He became a steamboat and steam engine builder on the Ohio river at that point and was connected with the construction of many of the old steamboats running between Pittsburg and New Orleans. He died in the year 1902, and his wife, also a native of England, has likewise passed away.
Charles W. Hobbs acquired his education in Wheeling, and came to Texas when only seventeen years of age, arriving in this state in 1882. He turned his attention to the sheep industry in Tom Green county, where he has since made his home. The territory adjacent to San Angelo has been for many years a sheep-raising district and Mr. Hobbs was quite successful in the business, which he carried on extensively in the range country west of San Angelo. Several years ago he retired form the live stock business and has since been actively engaged as a wool commission merchant, especially active in financial operations with men engaged in the sheep industry, and he also makes loans, this constituting a large part of his business. He is a prominent representative of financial affairs of his locality, being the vice president of the San Angelo National Bank. He is also the secretary and treasurer of the San Angelo Water and Electric Light Company, which furnishes water and electric light to the city of San Angelo. The waterworks system was established in 1884 and has since been greatly enlarged and improved.
Mr. Hobbs was married to Miss Minnie Sanderson, a daughter of the late B. R. Sanderson, one of the old-time settlers of Tom Green county, who came here from Wisconsin in the early days. They have two children, Edmond and Mary. Mr. Hobbs’ residence is a beautiful structure of two stories, built in a modified style of the old mission of architecture which is so prevalent in southern California. He is indeed one of the prominent residents of the city and has so directed his business affairs with keen discernment and marked enterprise that he seems to have realized at any one point of his career the possibilities for successful accomplishment at that point.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 322-323.