In the history of the business interests of Tarrant county the name of Colonel Marion Sanson is well and favorably known, for through a number of years he has been one of its leading financiers, progressive, enterprising and persevering. Such qualities always win success, and to Mr. Sanson they have brought a handsome competence as the reward of his well directed efforts. A native son of the Lone Star state, he was born in Madison county, June 20, 1853, a son of R. P. and Susan (Manning) Sanson. The father was born in Tennessee, but was one of the early pioneers to Texas, having located in this state as early as 1836, a short time before its independence from Mexico. He first took up his abode in Nacogdoches county, but in 1859 removed to Alvarado in Johnson county, which was then on the frontier, and there he spent the remainder of his life. He was a successful farmer and stockman. His wife, who also died in Alvarado, was a native of Texas, her birth occurring in Guadalupe county, near where the town of Gonzales is now located, being the daughter of Stephen Manning, who was one of those obliged to flee from Mexican soldiers in the skirmishing preceding the flight for Texas independence.
Mr. Marion Sanson was reared to manhood on his father’s farm, early inured to the duties of a farmer and stockman, and until November, 1902, his home was at Alvarado, Johnson county, where for many years he was a prominent business man, still retaining many of his interests there. For a number of years past has been in the banking business, in oil mills and in the live stock trade, being president of the local oil mill company, an officer in a bank, connected with other business enterprises and owning a fine farm and stock. In November, 1902, Mr. Sanson took up his abode in Fort Worth, and from that time on has been enlarging his business connections here. In 1903, in connection with the Swift and Armour packing house interests, he organized and became the first president of the Stock Yard National Bank in North Fort Worth, but resigned this position in January, 1905, although he still retains a directorship in the institution. He is also a director of the State National Bank of Fort Worth; a member of the firm of Cassidy-Southwestern Commission Company, live stock commissioners in North Fort Worth; also a member of the firm of M. Sanson & Company of Kansas City. Depending upon his own resources, Mr. Sanson has been steadily advancing to a place of prominence both in the commercial and political circles of Fort Worth, which city owes much to him on account of his connection with her business interests.
While residing in Alvarado he was married to Miss Eliza Powel, she being a daughter of Rev. John Powel, a noted minister in the earlier days, well known in Louisiana and Texas. They have three children—Mrs. Winnifred Schultz, Marion Sanson, Jr., and Nina Sanson. At his old home in Johnson county Mr. Sanson was prominent in politics, never, however, as an office seeker but in managerial and advisory capacities. He has been for a number of years the chairman of the Board of Directors of the Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College, and he was at one time the mayor of Alvarado. He is a Knight Templar Mason, and a member of Ben Hur Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Dallas, and is also a member of the Knights of Pythias and Odd Fellows fraternity. In all interests he has been eminently practical, and this has not only manifested itself in his business undertakings, but also in private and social life.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, p. 144.