DAVID O. McRIMMON, the senior partner of the D. O. McRimmon Mercantile Company, of Stamford, one of the leading commercial enterprises in this section of the state, has been a resident of Texas since 1866 and is therefore largely familiar with the history of its progress and development, having for almost forty years been a witness of the great changes that have occurred. He was born in Bibb county, Alabama, about forty miles north of Selma, on the 25th of October, 1859. His father, Cornelius D. McRimmon, was a native of North Carolina and when a mere boy moved to Alabama. He was of Scotch-Irish descent and was married in Alabama to Miss Elizabeth Lawhon, a native of that state. He followed farming and general merchandising, giving his attention to the latter pursuits to a greater or less extent up to the time of his death, which occurred September 17, 1879, in Van Alstyne, Grayson county, Texas, where he has made his home from 1871. He was one of the first merchants of the town, locating there when the Houston & Texas Central Railroad was built through. He was a man of enterprise in business life, of energy, and strong purpose and of honor in every relation. His wife has also passed away. In their family were two sons and six daughters, of whom four are now living and are residents of Texas.
D. O. McRimmon was principally reared in Texas, spending his youth largely in Cherokee county, where his father first located on coming to this state. His youth was largely passed on the farm in the usual manner of lads of the period and his time was divided between farm work and the acquirement of an education. When still quite young, however, he was placed in his father’s store where he received his early training in business. He was twenty years of age when his father died and the duties of caring for his widowed mother and the affairs of his father’s business devolved largely upon him. Since that time his attention has been given to business pursuits and he has made steady advancement in a commercial career. In 1883 he removed to Albany, Texas, where he embarked in merchandising on his own account, remaining there for about seventeen years. About that time the town of Stamford was started, being organized in the spring of 1901. Mr. McRimmon opened a store here, which was the second mercantile enterprise of the new town. The firm of D. O. McRimmon & Company was founded in Albany with J. P. McDaniel as a partner, and this relationship has been maintained to the present time. The firm was incorporated on the 10th of February, 1905, under the style of the D. O. McRimmon Mercantile Company with a capital stock of fifty thousand dollars. Their capital stock when they began business in Albany was but four hundred dollars and these figures indicate the splendid success which has attended the proprietors. The Albany store was conducted for about a year after the Stamford store was opened, and the former was then discontinued, the efforts of the proprietors being concentrated upon the development of the business in the latter place. The store was first opened on the south side of the square on Hamilton street, but in February, 1904, the firm erected its present spacious building on Swenson avenue on the west side of the square.
Mr. McRimmon was married in 1893 to Miss Stella Cullum, a daughter of S. D. Cullum, now of Stamford. They have one son, Williard D. McRimmon. Mr. McRimmon is interested in the social, political, intellectual and moral development of the city as well as in its material progress, and since 1894 he has been a member of the Presbyterian church. In manner he is courteous and affable to all with whom he comes in contact whether through business or social relations. His time naturally is largely devoted to mercantile pursuits and through his constant attention, combined with his excellent qualifications for commercial life, he has succeeded in making his house one of the leading business centers of western Texas.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 424-425.