CHARLES E. MAYS, who for thirteen years has engaged in the general practice of medicine and surgery in San Angelo, making steady advancement in his profession because of his thorough preparation therefor and his conscientious performance of the duties that devolve upon him in this connection, is one of the native sons of the state, his birth occurred in New Salem, Rusk county. His parents, John M. and Sarah (Fullbright) Mays, are both deceased. The father was one of the early settlers of Texas, having come from Tennessee to Rusk county about 1850. He was a successful agriculturist and was early identified with the farming interests of the state, devoting his life to the tilling of the soil and stock raising until his life’s labors were ended. His wife was also a native of Tennessee.
Dr. Mays supplemented his early educational privileges by a more specifically literary course pursued in Trinity University and then having made choice of the medical profession as a life work he began preparation for this vocation as a student in Tulane University at New Orleans, where he graduated with the class of 1885. Thus well equipped for practice he opened an office at New Salem in his home county, where he remained for over three years, when seeking a broader field of labor he removed to Wooten Wells, Texas, and for about three years acted as physician for the Wooten Wells Company in addition to conducting his private practice. Since 1892 he has resided in San Angelo, w here he has since remained as a general practitioner of medicine and surgery, but has given special attention to gynecology, in which he has been extremely successful. He has read extensively along this line and has become particularly well equipped for that branch of medical practice. The very liberal patronage accorded him has made him a man of affluence and he now has substantial business interests in San Angelo, being the leading proprietor in the Central Drug Store, which is located in Mays Block–a structure that is the property of Dr. Mays of this review. He likewise has other investments and he owns in connection with his business property a very fine residence in San Angelo.
Dr. Mays was married in New Salem, the lady of his choice being Miss Lulu Wiggins and they have two children, Ed and Aline. The doctor’s brother, Judge Milton Mays, is a lawyer and county judge at Tom Green county. The doctor is a Royal Arch Mason, in hearty sympathy with the teachings and tenets of the craft and his religious belief is indicated by his membership in the Cumberland Presbyterian church. Interested in all that pertains to the advancement of the profession, he is associated with the Tom Green County Medical Society and the regard which his fellow men of the profession entertain for him is indicated by the fact that he is now serving as president thereof. He has carried his investigations forward along original lines and at the same time has kept in touch with the progress made by the medical fraternity and his knowledge is comprehensive and accurate, while his correct application of the medical science to the needs of suffering humanity is indicated by the excellent results that have attended his labors.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. I, pp. 594-595.