CHARLES W. HODGE, M. D. Among those who have attained distinctive prestige in the practice of medicine and surgery in Quanah and Hardeman county and whose success has come as the result of thorough technical information and skill, stands Dr. Charles W. Hodge, who is a man of scholarly attainments and who has made deep and careful research into the two sciences to which he is devoting his life. He was born at Farmersville, Louisiana, in 1853, a son of the Rev. Charles W. and Mary A. (George) Hodge. The father was a minister in the Methodist church, was a native of Georgia, and his death occurred in Louisiana, as did also his wife’s.
In the school of his native city Charles W. Hodge received his early mental training, while his medical education was pursued at Tulane University, New Orleans, where he remained for four years and graduated with the class of 1882. His first practice was at Logtown, on the Ouachita river, thence returned to Farmersville, and in 1884 took up his abode in Alexander, Erath county, Texas, there continuing the practice of his chose profession until 1889. In that year he located in Quanah, and is now numbered among the oldest physicians in Hardeman county, where he has built up an excellent practice and has won the commendation of the public and his professional brethren. He is also local surgeon for the Fort Worth & Denver and the Frisco Railroads, a member of the State Medical and the Panhandle Medical Societies, a member of the A. F. & A. M., a Royal Arch Mason and Knight Templar; also a Knight of Pythias. Dr. Hodge was united in marriage to Leona (Gillette) Goshorn.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, p. 2.