F. J. GRAYUM, cashier of the Snyder National Bank at Snyder, was born in Jasper county, Missouri, May 9, 1860. His father W. J. C. Grayum, was also a native of Missouri, born in the central portion of the state near Jefferson City, in 1825. He was a farmer by occupation and followed that pursuit during the greater part of his life. In the fall of 1861 he emigrated to Texas, settling near Waco in Falls county. On account of his southern proclivities he was a refugee from the north to this country, and in the following spring he enlisted in the Confederate service but had been at the front for only a short time when he was excused from active participation in the movements of the army, and commissioned to look after the interests of the widows whose husbands had fallen in battle. He also operated a grist-mill on his own account and on some occasions furnished supplies to the troops which passed by in their line of march. He lived in Falls county for about twenty-two years and in 1884 removed to Anson, Jones county, where he resided up to the time of his death, which occurred on the 1st of October, 1904. He was familiar with the development of this country and he lived to see many changes here as the work of progress and improvement was carried forward. He was a man of especial religious nature, a faithful member of the Baptist church and strictly moral and upright in all his habits and belief. He married Miss Derinda Gist, a native of Missouri, in which state the wedding was celebrated and she now makes her home at Stamford, Texas. In the family makes her home at Stamford, Texas. In the family were ten children, who are yet living: Ellen, now the wife of D. J. Olinger, of Luders, Jones county, Texas; Emma, the wife of J. S. Morrow, of Stamford, Jones county; and Frank Jonah, whose name introduces this review. There are also three other children, a son and two daughters, who are now deceased.
Frank J. Grayum was only about a year and a half old when his parents came to Texas and was reared upon a farm in Falls county. He began his education in one of the old-time subscription schools and later attended the public schools of the neighborhood with the exception of one year spent as a student in the Washington and Lee University at Lexington, Virginia, during the session of 1881-82. In the autumn of the latter year he returned to Falls county, Texas, and after spending a year and a half on his father’s farm removed to Jones county with his father in 1884. He there became connected with agricultural pursuits which he followed for five years.
On the 2d of December, 1885, Mr. Grayum was married to Miss Sallie Penick, of Windsor, Missouri, a daughter of W. B. Penick, now of Stamford, Texas. On the 10th of December, 1889, Mr. Grayum with his family removed to Snyder, Scurry county, where he has since made his home. Here he opened a drug store under the firm name of Auten & Grayum, his partner being L. K. Auten, and in April, 1890, he established a private bank under the firm name of F. J. Grayum & Company, which was the first banking institution organized in Scurry county. The drug business has been continued down to the present time, and the only change that has occurred of any note was effected January 1, 1905, when the business was incorporated under the laws of Texas as the Grayum Drug Company, with a capital stock of ten thousand dollars all paid up. This is one of the largest drug concerns in western Texas, doing a splendid business that far exceeds the sales of most enterprises of this character. On the 13th of March, 1905, the private bank of Mr. Grayum was converted into a national bank with a capital stock of fifty thousand dollars under the name of the Snyder National Bank, and the officers of the new institution are: W. A. Fuller, president; E. W. Clark, vice president; F. J. Grayum, cashier; and O. P. Thrane, assistant cashier. The present bank building was commenced about the 1st of June, 1905, and was completed for occupancy on the 1st of November of that year. The building is a handsome brick structure, two stories in height and the furnishing are of the latest pattern of design both for elegance and convenience. The cost of the building, including the site and furnishing, was over eight thousand dollars.
Mr. Grayum is a practical business man and it is through his earnest endeavors and capabilities that he has won success and is now at the head of largely increasing business interests. In addition to his business concerns in Snyder he also owns a farm of three hundred and fifty-five acres in Ellis county, the most of which is under cultivation.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Grayum have been born four daughters: Ida, Edna, Mary and Alice. Mr. Grayum belongs to the Baptist church, with which he has been identified for twenty-eight years. He is a progressive and public-spirited citizen, interested in all that pertains to the welfare and up building of the county along material, social, and intellectual and moral lines.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 468-469.