GEORGE Q. McGOWN, a prominent attorney of Fort Worth and well known throughout his community, was born in St. Charles county, Missouri. He is a son of Judge D. T. McGown, a native of the Old Dominion state of Virginia, but at the age of five years was brought by his father, Daniel McGown, to Missouri, the family locating in St. Charles county, and there Daniel McGown spent the remainder of his life, dying at the age of ninety-five years, an old and greatly respected citizen of the county. His son there grew to years of maturity and in 1859 was married to Miss Agnes Gray. In 1870 the family removed to southwest Missouri, locating at Golden City, Barton county, where he became a substantial and prosperous farmer, well known in the county and for many years its judge. A few years ago he laid aside the active care of business life and joined his son George in Texas. They made their home in North Fort Worth, where Judge McGown has property interests.
George Q. McGown spent the early years of his life on a farm, receiving his elementary educational training in the country schools. Learning the mercantile business he went to Wellington, Kansas, where for ten years he was successfully engaged in that occupation, but after his removal to Fort Worth in 1892 he decided to take up the legal profession, and accordingly began his law studies in the office of Judge W. S. Essex. Since his admission to the bar he has conducted a successful and continually growing practice in Fort Worth, and from the beginning of his professional career he has made a specialty of banking law and commercial and corporation practice, in which he has reached eminent success and is considered an authority on these branches at the Fort Worth bar. Believing that this is an age of specialization, he has limited his practice to such, and a large clientage has been vouchsafed him. Since July, 1904, he has carried on business under the firm name of McGown & Wade, Mr. Wade having been admitted into the firm at that time, and they have handsome and commodious offices in the new Reynolds building. In addition to his legal practice Mr. McGown has also been identified with a number of corporations and business firms of this city, being the general attorney for the Dallas and Fort Worth Credit Men’s Associations and manager of their adjustment bureau. He is also a director of and attorney for the firm of F. H. Campbell & Company, manufacturers of windmills, gasoline engines, water pipes, etc.; also served as attorney for a number of the local building and loan associations; and was one of the charter members of United States Benevolent Association and has had charge of its legal interests for some time.
Mr. McGown married Miss Dora S. Pierce, their wedding being celebrated in Wichita, Kansas, and they have three sons,—Harry, Grover C. and George Q., Jr. Mr. McGown is a deacon in the Broadway Presbyterian church, in which he is an active worker and liberal supporter. In his fraternal affiliations he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which he has filled all of the offices. Wherever known he is held in high regard, and those who know him best are numbered among his warmest friends.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 37-38.