HAMP E. RICHARDS.—There are numerous fine farms in Bosque county, [Texas] which will compare favorably with any others in the state as regards production and also as regards the improvements which have been made upon them. Many of these places are owned by men comparatively young in years, who started in life with but little more than an unlimited amount of energy and perseverance, and who are succeeding to an eminent degree in building up a comfortable home in the Lone Star state. As a representative of this class of agriculturists, great pleasure is taken in presenting the name of the subject of this notice, whose farm is pleasantly situated six miles south of Clifton.
Mr. Richards first opened his eyes to the light of Trinity county, Texas, on the 11th of November, 1859, at the home of his parents, William and Catherine (Birch) Richards, the former a native of Alabama and the latter of Kentucky. Their family comprised seven children, of whom our subject is the youngest. The earthly career of the father was ended December 21, 1893.
In the early ’60s Mr. Richards, of this review, came to Bosque county, where he now owns a valuable farm of one hundred acres, eighty of which has been placed under cultivation, and it is one of the model places of the county, which attests the supervision of a careful and painstaking owner. On the 15th of November, 1883, Mr. Richards was joined in wedlock with Miss Emma Phillips, a native of Texas, and to them have been born eight children—Pierce, Ollie, Berty, Clarence, Oscar, Guy, Carl and Walter. Our subject takes no active interest in political matters other than as a stanch advocate of good local government, his time and attention being strictly devoted to his farm interests.
Source: History of Texas, Supplemented with Biographical Mention of Many Families of the State: A Concise History of the State From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Date; Together with Biographical Sketches of Many of the Families of Central Texas, Vol. I (Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1896, repr.), pp. 83-84.