HAMP P. ABNEY, an attorney and counsel at law at Sherman, was born in Angelina county, Texas, on the 3rd of February, 1869, his parents being Paul C.
and Margaret E. (Fullerton) Abney,
both of whom are natives of Mississippi. The father was a soldier in the Confederate army, serving about three years. In his business relations he was a planter and was quite successful in the management of his property. For twelve years he served as tax assessor and tax collector in Angelina county and was regarded as a public-spirited citizen of his community, always loyal to its best interests and a co-operant factor in its development. He died May 23, 1894, at the age of sixty-five years and is still survived by his widow, who is now living on her farm in Brown county, Texas, at the age of seventy-three years. In their family were eight sons and three daughters, who attained years of maturity, while Nathaniel died at the age of five years and Cory C.,
the youngest of the family, died in Whitesboro, in 1898, at the age of twenty-six years. The surviving members of the family are: James A.,
a physician and surgeon of Brownwood, Texas; William Albert,
who is engaged in merchandising at Lufkin, Angelina county, Texas; George M.,
a physician and surgeon of Franklin, Robertson county, Texas; Frank P.,
a merchant of Winchell, Brown county, Texas; Perry C.
and John E.,
who are members of the firm doing business under the names of the Abney-Marshall Company at Whitesboro; Mrs. Sarah McMullen,
the wife of E. H. F. McMullen,
a merchant at Lufkin, Texas; Addie,
the wife of A. R. Moore,
who is engaged in the real estate business in Houston; Emma,
the wife of Rev. V. A. Godbey,
pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal church, South, at Beaumont, Texas.Hamp P. Abney was provided with excellent educational privileges, supplementing his earlier studies by a course in Southwestern University at Georgetown, Texas. He studied law at Rusk, this state, and was there admitted to practice in 1891. Opening an office there he remained in Rusk until 1895, when he removed to Whitesboro, Grayson county, and has since been a member of the Grayson county bar. He took up his abode in Sherman in 19901 and he has attained prominence in his profession, giving special attention to civil practice. He is very careful and thorough in the preparation of the cases and his devotion to his clients’ interests is proverbial.
While living at Whitesboro, Mr. Abney was married to Miss Jeannette Marshall, a daughter of W. H. Marshall of the Abney-Marshall Company mentioned above. She was educated in Southwestern University and North Texas Female College at Sherman and is a lady of superior culture and natural refinement, who presides with gracious hospitality over her attractive home. Two children grace this marriage: Evelyn, age seven years; and Hamp P., who is now in his second year. Mr. Abney is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Sherman Commercial Club. Both he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church and they occupy an enviable position in social circles. Politically a stalwart Democrat, he is now serving as a member of the city council from the fifth ward and is deeply interested in the welfare and progress of his adopted city, giving hearty and helpful co- operation to many movements that are of the direct benefit to Sherman.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. I, pp. 641-642.