Haskell S. Abbott biography

HASKELL S. ABBOTT, a prominent lumber merchant of Stamford, conducting business as a member of the firm of Spencer & Abbott with a large trade that is indicative of the honorable business methods of the house, was born in Reading, Hillsdale county, Michigan, August 7, 1857, his parents beingĀ Bingham D. and Mary (Folk) Abbott. The mother, born in Pennsylvania, was of German descent, while the Abbotts were from Connecticut. The father became one of the pioneer residents of Michigan, where he located in 1832 ere the admission of the state into the Union. There he made his home for many years and both he and his wife died there. Three other brothers also went to the state at the same time and continued residents of Michigan until called to their final rest. Bingham Abbott died about 1880 at the age of seventy-five years, while his wife passed away in 1900 at the advanced age of eighty-nine years. They reared a family of eight children, five sons and three daughters, of whom one son is now deceased; namely; Julia E., now Mrs. Baldwin, of Trinidad, Colorado; W. H., also of Trinidad, Colorado; John D., on the old homestead in Reading, Michigan; O. B., a contractor of Trinidad, Colorado; Louise, now Mrs. Armstrong, of San Francisco, California; Olive M., now Mrs. A. H. Van Vilet, Ludington, Michigan; and Haskell S., our subject. Henry, the oldest, died at the age of forty years, at Trinidad.

Haskell S. Abbott, reared on his father’s farm, remained at home until eighteen years of age, during which time he worked in the summer seasons in the fields, while in the winter months he attended the country schools. In 1876 he came alone to Texas, settling first in Comanche county upon a ranch near Proctor. There he began dealing in cattle and also carried on farming to some extent. As his financial resources increased he purchased cows and calves and kept adding to his herd, to which he gave his personal supervision and care until 1880. He then traded his cattle for sheep and took the flock to Callahan county, continuing in the sheep industry until 1887. In that year he sold out and returned to Dublin, Erath county, Texas, where he engaged in the hide and wool business until 1892. In that year he entered the employ of R. B. Spencer in the lumber business, working in the yard until 1900. In that year the town of Stamford was organized and a lumber yard was opened in this place by the newly organized firm of Spencer and Abbott. They now have one of the largest yards in the city, carrying all kinds of lumber, both rough and dressed, together with shingles, doors and sash, brick, lime, cement, roofing materials, paints, oils, glass and in fact everything needed by the builder. Their trade extends over the counties of Jones, Haskell, Stonewall, Knox, Kent, Fisher and Dickens and their sales amount to about one hundred thousand dollars annually.

Mr. Abbott was married in 1879 to Miss Liza Burrows, of Brown county, Texas, who died in 1889. Three of their children are now living: Mary Agnes, Walter Bingham and Haskell S. Mr. Abbott married again in 1895, Miss Alice Powers of Dublin, Erath county, Texas, becoming his wife. There are two children of this marriage: Anna Louise and Lawrence Stamford, the latter the first boy baby born in the city of Stamford. Mr. Abbott has recently completed his fine residence on Swenson avenue, which is the finest and best appointed home in Stamford, having cost about eight thousand dollars. It’s gracious and cultured hospitality is much appreciated by the many friends of the family. Mr. Abbott has been a member of the Methodist church since 1878. He has taken a most active and helpful part in the upbuilding of the new city in which he makes his home and which in the five years of its existence has developed almost unlimited possibilities for business and has also made rapid strides toward securing all of the advantages of intellectual, social and aesthetic culture known to the older east. Already Mr. Abbott has prospered greatly in his business undertakings here and through the utilization of opportunity and unfaltering diligence has gained success and made a most creditable name in trade circles of western Texas.

Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 524-525.