HORRY A. WARD, filling the position of county treasurer in Jones county, is also the owner of valuable landed interests here, and by taking advantage of conditions and improving his opportunities he has steadily worked his way upward to a position of affluence. He is a native of northern Tennessee, having been born in Weakley county on the 1st of June, 1849. His father was Simeon Ward, a native of Hardeman county, Tennessee, but reared in Henry county, that state. The family originally came from either North Carolina or Virginia. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Elizabeth McAdoo and was of Scotch Irish descent and was born in Henry county, Tennessee, her parents having removed to that locality from North Carolina. Mrs. Ward became the mother of ten children, four of whom reached adult age, and her death occurred on the 1st of January, 1870. Simeon Ward afterward married again, his second union being with Mrs. Susan Meacham, nee Boaz, now deceased. His death occurred on the 9th of November, 1876, and is survived by one son of the second marriage.
Horry A. Ward was reared upon his father’s farm and made his home there until the time of his marriage. When a boy he attended the country schools of his neighborhood for a few months during the winter seasons until he was old enough to make a hand on the farm. When he was eighteen years of age his father again gave him opportunity of attending school and for ten months be again gave his attention to study, but this was about all of the education he ever received in the school room. Through experience and observation, however, he has learned many valuable lessons and has become a practical business man.
On the 30th of November, 1869, Mr. Ward was united in marriage to Miss Sarah M. Taylor, a native of Marshall county, Tennessee, and a daughter of Frederick Taylor, one of the early settlers of that state. The young couple began their domestic life upon his father’s farm and he assisted in its development and improvement, while his wife attended to the household duties. Later he removed to a farm of his own, on which he resided until he was more than thirty-one years of age, when he disposed of his interests in Tennessee and came to Texas, settling in Jones county in 1881. He made a claim and after the land was placed on the market purchased the property in 1883. He has since owned a number of farms, purchasing a tract upon which he would make improvements and then sell. In this way he has realized quite a handsome sum of money on his investments and was enable to discharge all of his indebtedness. When the country became sufficiently settled to make profitable the introduction of a cotton gin he turned his attention to the production of cotton and small grain, after the introduction of farm machinery and other implements, and his own farm labor became more profitable as the corps could be handled to better advantage. He has made judicious investment in real estate, the price of which has appreciated as the country has become more thickly settle until he now owns some valuable farming land, all under improvement and situated near the town of Anson. Its splendid condition is due to his earnest efforts and indefatigable energy and he is accounted one of the representative agriculturists of the community.
In the meantime Mr. Ward has reared an interesting family, numbering three sons and five daughters, namely: Edith A., the wife of A. S. Barkley; Sim Fred,who is married and resides in Sterling county; Agnes, the wife of W. L. Logan; Lewis T.; Myrtle A., the wife of Dan Frey; Mattie I.; Avah K., and Joseph C. In the fall of 1904 Mr. Ward was elected county treasurer of Jones county, which position he is now fills, and in the discharge of his duties he is found reliable and faithful, having systematized the work of the office and carrying it on along progressive and business-like lines. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and he and his family are all connected with the Methodist church. They are held in high esteem in the community, their social relations winning them the warm regard of the best class of citizens.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 514-515.