IRVIN L. HUNT, cashier of the Canyon National Bank of Canyon City, Texas, where he is a prominent citizen and successful business man, was born in Hardin county, Iowa, June 24, 1871. He is practically a product of the plains, having lived in that section of the country since he was thirteen years old, and he has raised himself by his own efforts to his present high standing in the esteem of the community.
Mr. Hunt’s father, George M. Hunt, is one of the leading citizens of Lubbock. He was born in Ohio, came west with his family in 1864 and located in Hardin county, Iowa, whence about seven years later he spent a year or so in Colorado for the benefit of his wife’s health, and then made his home in Kansas until he came to Texas in 1884. He located in Crosby county, this state, being a member of the Quaker colony organized in that county. He has lived continuously in this plains country since 1884, being one of the earliest settlers. Previous to coming to Texas his occupation was mainly teaching, and he spent altogether one hundred and sixty-seven months in that profession—a notable record. In Texas he took up surveying, and has surveyed a great deal of the land in this section. He laid off the town of Plainview, the county seat of Hale county. He was the first county surveyor of Crosby county upon its organization in 1886, and later he was county surveyor of Lubbock county for six years. He was the first justice of the peace upon the plains. He conducted the hotel at Estacado, the county seat of Crosby county, for some time, and also the hotel at Lubbock after making the latter town his place of residence. To some extent he has farmed and handled cattle, and he improved and sold several nice residence properties in Crosby and Lubbock counties, One branch of his activity that has been of large value to the country in general has been his enthusiastic efforts in demonstrating the adaptability of the soil of this section of the state to the growth of fine fruits, vegetables, etc., both with and without the aid of irrigation. He has been a resident of Lubbock since 1890, the year the county was organized. Mr. George M. Hunt’s wife, Lina (Taylor) Hunt, died at Lubbock in 1903.
Mr. I. L. Hunt commenced his active career in West Texas when a boy, beginning as a freighter, and later got into the cattle industry and worked as a cowboy and a “fence rider.” He came to Lubbock about the time the town and county were organized, in 1890, and made this the seat of his activities until 1905. For nearly seven years he was in the mercantile business at Lubbock, and for about six years held the office of postmaster. While postmaster he had his store in connection. Later F. E. Wheelock came into the business as partner, under the name of Hunt and Wheelock, and the business was then enlarged and became the principal general store of the county. In 1901 they sold out to other parties and retired from the business. On May 1, 1902, the bank at Lubbock, with which Mr. Hunt had been connected since March, 1902, was nationalized as the First National Bank, and Mr. Hunt was its cashier until October, 1904. November 1, 1905, the Canyon National Bank opened its doors for business with Mr. Hunt as cashier.
It might be mentioned in this connection, as a noteworthy fact in the history of this part of the state, that Lubbock county at the time of the present writing has the reputation of having the largest per capita wealth of any county in the state. Although the county is as yet thinly settled, its people are of a progressive and enterprising character and are very prosperous and noted for their high financial integrity.
Mr. Hunt is a Royal Arch Mason, being a member of Lubbock Chapter. He was married at Lubbock to Miss Etta Green, and they have three children, L. Earl, Carl and Glen.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. I, pp. 323-324.