JACQUES LE TORT was a French-Canadian Indian trader who first located on the Brandywine, but subsequently established a trading post in Conoy township. His wife took up 900 acres of land in Donegal township, near Sparks’ Mill, which afterward came into the possession of the Ziegelers and Stehmans. He afterward moved to the spring bearing his name in Cumberland county, near Carlisle. In 1727 it was reported to the Provincial council that Le Tort and some others had built trading posts near the Conestogue and were seeking for minerals. Le Tort was accused of having done some misdemeanor and had been summoned in 1694 to appear before the council. He was arrested and his goods seized, but subsequently they were returned, he giving bail in 500 pounds with securities thereon.
Source: Biographical Annals of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania: Containing Biographical and Genealogical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens and of Many of the Early Settlers (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1903), pp. 71-72.