JAMES S. COLLIER, one of the foremost representatives of the agricultural and stock-raising industries in Tarrant county, his home being in Fort Worth, was born in Shelby county, Kentucky and was raised in Clay county, Missouri, on a farm four miles from Liberty, the county seat. His parents were Greenup P. and Lucy (Ford) Collier. His father, a native of Shelby county, Kentucky, came to Clay county, Missouri, in 1838, when a young man, and became one of the prosperous farmers of the county. Also highly esteemed as a citizen, he held the office of county assessor twelve years, dying in office. He and his wife, who, who was a native of Woodford county, Kentucky, are both buried at Liberty, Missouri.
Mr. Collier grew up on a farm, and received his education in the local schools. Though farming and stock-raising has been his principle life pursuit he has also engaged at various times in business. When a young man he engaged in the dry goods and boot and shoe business at Liberty and for a number of years was one of the successful merchants of that place. His home being in the middle scenes of the fierce border warfare that was waged on both sides the Kansas-Missouri line during the Civil war, as an inevitable circumstance in the bitterness of the strife of those days. Although not in the regular Confederate army, Mr. Collier was drawn into the service as a member of the guerillas, and as a result of the devastation caused by the conflict all his possessions were wiped out and when the war closed he had to begin all over again. For two years after the war he was a resident of St. Charles, Missouri, and then, returning to Liberty, resumed business there, and made that city his home until he came to Tarrant county in August, 1883. After a brief experience in the real estate business at Fort Worth as a member of the firm of Paddock, Kaye and Company, he pursued a farm and in 1886 entered upon the successful career of farming and stock-raising which has been his main resource and substantial activity to the present time. Mr. Collier has an enviable reputation in Tarrant county as a prosperous and enterprising agriculturist, having a large farm and stock ranch of thirty-five hundred acres ten miles southwest of Fort Worth, on the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad, where he conducts a general farming and stock business, making somewhat of a specialty of good horses and mules, although he has always handled considerable cattle. Early in 1900 Mr. Collier moved his family to Fort Worth that his children might have the advantage of superior educational facilities, and this city has since been his home, his large and comfortable residence being at 1516 South Jennings avenue.
At Liberty Mr. Collier married Miss Louisa B. Francis. She was reared near Jefferson City, Missouri, from which locality her father moved to Liberty, where he is still a resident. Former Governor David R. Francis is a member of this same branch of the family. Mr. and Mrs. Collier have three children, Jackson, Miss Lucy and James W. The elder son is interested with his father in the farming interests, and is a prominent member of the Woodmen fraternity at Fort Worth.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, p. 10.