JUDGE ISAAC NEWTON JACKSON. The Jackson family are originally from Kentucky, and the grandfather, whose name was John Jackson, removed from that state to Missouri, where he died. One of his sons, Isaac Newton Jackson, was born in Missouri, near St. Louis, and on leaving that state went to Arkansas, where he afterward made his home. He was married there to Miss Elizabeth J. Pride, whose people came to the middle west from Alabama. Her people, however, lived originally in Maryland, later in South Carolina and afterward in Alabama, whence they removed to Arkansas. Her father, William Pride, was a native of Maryland. Isaac Newton Jackson died in Arkansas in 1861, but his wife still survives and makes her home in the southwestern part of the state. They had a family of six children, three sons and three daughters, of whom one daughter is now deceased. After losing her first husband Mrs. Jackson married again, becoming Mrs. A. J. Park, now deceased, by which marriage there were three children, a son and two daughters.
Judge Jackson, whose name introduces this record, was reared in Sevier county, Arkansas, until 1879. His birth had occurred in the town of Paraclifta, that county, on the 3d of January, 1858, and his early education was acquired in the public schools there, while subsequently he attended the Washington high school. In 1879 he came to Texas and secured employment at Belle Plaine, where he remained for a year and a half, after which he entered the office of the district and county clerk of Callahan county, and acceptably and creditably filled the position for twelve consecutive years, retiring from office in 1904, as he had entered it—with the confidence and good will of all concerned. In that year he turned his attention to the land business and the raising of cattle, which interests claimed his attention for a number of years, but in 1902 he was again called from private life and was elected to the office of county judge, which position he filled so creditably that he was accorded re-election in 1904, and is therefore the present incumbent in the office.
On the 13th of September, 1888, Judge Jackson was married to Miss Elma Richardson, a native of Texas, born near Marshall, and a daughter of David Richardson. In their family are four children, three sons and a daughter, namely: J. Rupert, Leland Forney, Clara Pearl and Isaac Newton.
Judge Jackson is a member of the Masonic and Knights of Pythias lodges in Baird. His has been a successful career as the result of an active life, well directed effort, keen sagacity and unfaltering enterprise. His possessions in land and cattle are principally in Callahan county, his realty possessions aggregating over twelve thousand acres in Callahan, Shackelford and Taylor counties, but principally in the former. Judge Jackson, according to the laws of Texas, is also ex-officio county superintendent of public instruction. His long experience as an official has given him an excellent knowledge of legal matters, and while note regularly a member of the legal profession he has presided over the affairs of the county court in an able manner. He has always been interested in the educational department of the county, to which he has given a large portion of his time. In a business way he has been prosperous and is regarded as one of the largest tax payers in Callahan county.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 446-447.