The life record of Judge Sweeney stands in contradistinction to the old adage that a prophet is never without honor save in his own country, for in the state of his nativity Judge Sweeney has made substantial and gratifying advancement in a profession where success depends upon individual merit, so directing his efforts as to win signal recognition of his ability, as is evidenced by the fact of his election to the bench.
Judge Sweeney was born in San Antonio, Texas, in 1875, and since 1879 has been a resident of El Paso, coming to this city with his father, Joseph Sweeney, who brought his family here and has since been a resident of the city. He is in fact one of its pioneer citizens.
Judge Sweeney was a student in the public schools of El Paso in his early youth and also attended the Catholic University at Austin, Texas. His literary education being completed he entered upon his law study in the office and under the direction of Judge Peyton F. Edwards and later was in the offices of M. W. Stanton and W. W. Turney, all leading attorneys of this city. In February, 1896, he was admitted to the bar and immediately afterward entered upon the practice of law. Soon a liberal patronage was accorded him that constantly increased and connected him with the important litigation of the district until his elevation to the bench in November, 1902, when he was elected and is now filling the office. He is spoken of as an exceptionally capable and worthy young man, who from humble circumstances has worked his way upward through his own efforts, his strong mentality, his analytical mind for the responsibilities of a profession to which property, life and liberty must look for protection.
Judge Sweeney is captain of the local militia company at El Paso and is thus well known in military circles. He is likewise a member of the Elks and in a general way is identified with the best social and business interests of El Paso.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. I, p. 486-487.