LOUIA B. BROWN, a representative agriculturist and stock-raiser of Tarrant county, resides near Smithfield, where he owns and operates a valuable and productive farm of three hundred and forty acres devoted to general agricultural pursuits and stock-raising. He is a native of Liberty county, Missouri, born on the 31st of July, 1858, and is a son of Louis E. and Lou (Perry) Brown, both of whom were natives of Kentucky. The father, accompanied by his family, left Missouri in the year 1861 and removed southward to Tarrant county, Texas, and in due course of time made a permanent settlement having been made in that locality at the time. There Louis E. Brown continued to make his home up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1868. He had become widely known in the locality, followed the occupation of farming and was the champion of many progressive measures for the general good.
Louia B. Brown was a little lad of only three years when brought by his parents to Texas and was reared to manhood in Tarrant county, where he pursued his education in the public schools, attending the schools of Birdville and also the Grapevine Academy. Experience, observation and reading likewise greatly broadened his knowledge and made him a well informed man of good business ability and executive force. He has always been identified with agricultural interests and stock-raising, having been reared to that pursuit, early becoming familiar with all the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the farmer. Since 1899 he has been engaged in the handling of registered stock of various breeds, including short-horn cattle, of which he now has about seventy-five head, all registered. He took up his abode on his present farm in 1901, and previous to this time he resided at Smithfield, where for a number of years he has been engaged in merchandising, but at the same time had carried on his agricultural pursuits. For a number of years he served as postmaster at Smithfield. He is particularly well known, however, as an agriculturist as stock-raiser and there is no better judge in all the countryside than Mr. Brown.
On the 5th of September, 1886, Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Halcie C. Hightower, a daughter of J. H. Hightower, formerly county commissioner of Tarrant county, Texas, and a leading and representative farmer of this portion of the state. Five children grace this union: Lewis B., a graduate of Baylor University at Waco, Texas; Morris J., Walter H. and Raymond N. Burney.
Mr. Brown is a stalwart Democrat and fraternally is connected with the Woodmen of the World. His interest in the public welfare is deep and sincere and results in hearty co-operation for the general good. His home farm contains three hundred and forty acres of land and is one of the best improved properties in the northern part of Tarrant county. He also owns additional acreage so that his total landed possessions aggregate six hundred acres.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 199-200.