ELDER MARTIN B. HARDIN was one of the best preachers we had in the early days of Waco Association. He was the youngest of seven children, was born in Florida, September 23, 1836. The family moved from Florida to Columbus, Ga., about 1841. Young Martin had excellent educational advantages, and enjoyed the pulpit ministrations of Dr. John E. Dawson. He was converted under the ministry of Dr. J. H. De Votie, and by him baptized. He was ordained February, 1859, by presbytery composed of Elders C. C. Willis, Joseph Walker, T. B. Shade, James Whitten, J. M. Watt, John E. Dawson and J. H. De Votie. He succeeded Dr. W. Williams to the pastorate of Auburn church, Ala. Unanimously called by the church at Waco, Texas, he came from Auburn to Waco early in 1869, and was pastor at Waco that year. He remained in Texas two years; was corresponding secretary of the Bible and Colportage Board, and assisted in the organization of the General Association. In July, 1871, he returned to Georgia, and accepted the pastorate of the church at LaGrange, where he continued till he died. He was a clear, forcible and earnest preacher, universally honored and beloved.
Source: J. L. Walker and C. P. Lumpkin, History of the Waco Baptist Association of Texas (Waco: Byrne-Hill Printing House, 1897), p. 312.