Samuel Alex. Green biography

SAMUEL ALEX. GREEN. Montague county has known Mr. Green as a settler for the past thirty-one years, he having cast his fortunes with it in 1874, at which time he settled a piece of Hill country school land near Brushy Creek school-house. With but two changes of location in those years we find him now in the same neighborhood where he first located and in the enjoyment of a beautiful home and corresponding surroundings, which his labor and his management produced.

The year 1868 marks the advent of this industrious family to Texas. Augustus Green, our subject’s father, brought it hither from Boone county, Missouri, whither he went in 1843 from the state of Kentucky. He was born in Maryland in 1790 and made his way through the then new country of the northwest into Kentucky in early life and married, in the latter state, Miss Hannah Robinson, who died in Hays county, Texas. As a Missouri farmer he was eminently successful and when the war came on he was numbered among the well-to-do men of his calling. As a result of the rebellion he lost heavily and when he came to Texas he was not in affluent circumstances. He established himself in Grayson county the first three years, and, in 1871, he went to Hays county, but returned to Grayson in 1873, again returning to Hays, and died there in 1885.

The issue of Augustus and Hannah Green were: Sarah, who died in Boone county, Missouri, as the wife of Samuel Gibson; Irena, whose death ensued in Grayson county as the wife of Will Ambrose; Martha, who is buried in Grayson county, was the wife of David Pugh; J. W., of Hays county, Texas; Dock, of Grayson county; Robert, of Hays county; Joseph, of Temple, Oklahoma; Samuel Alex., our subject; Tine, wife of Elijah Chisholm, of Grayson county; and Bettie, the wife of Miles Reasoner, of Hays county, Texas.

S. A. Green’s life in youth was passed chiefly on his father’s farm and he obtained little education form the common schools. At eighteen years of age he began life as a cowboy in Uvalde county, and a year later he employed with the Jourdan boys, who were engaged in the business of buffalo hunting on the Texas plains. The expedition roamed about over the frontier, establishing their camp in a “dug-out” near some stream, and changing it as often as necessary to keep in touch with the bovine king of the plain. The force was divided into killer, skinners, packers and teamster, and during the year Mr. Green was with it he had exciting times and interesting experiences in every department of the work.

On quitting the plains Mr. Green returned to civilization and settled down to the routine and monotony of the farm. Having located him in Montague county, we find him, with pony team, toiling industriously on his Hill county and later his Pinola county claim, slowly climbing the ladder of success and keeping nearly always the “wolf” at a safe distance from his cabin door. He locates on his present farm of one hundred and seventeen acres in 1890 and all the art-work that it contains is the product of his hand. While many years have been devoted to cotton and corn, he is now interested in fruit, and with the lapse of time his homestead will be a bed of bud and bloom and fruit.

Mr. Green was first married in Grayson county, in December, 1876, to Miss Nannie James, who died in 1894, the mother of Ewing, who married Minnie Nichols, and resides near by; Lacy, of Montague county, married Georgie Warren; Jennie, wife of Paul Laster, of Montague; Walter, Andrew and Clarence are still useful adjuncts to the family home. In April, 1895, Mr. Green married Mrs. Ellen Short, a daughter of William Milligan, from Missouri. Tiny, Lillie and Minnie Short are children by her first husband, and Mrs. Green passed away in 1903 without further issue. In September, 1904, Mr. Green married Miss Gertie Speck, a Tennessee lady, whose father was Henderson Speck, of that state.

Industry and singleness of purpose have accomplished for Mr. Green all that he has achieved. While he has been laying up stores for the future he has lived in harmony with all the world and the good-will of a whole neighborhood goes out to him and his.

B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. I, pp. 427-428.