SAMUEL C. TICE is the owner of four hundred and forty-six acres of good land in Montague county and in his farming operations has been quite successful. He is numbered with that class of citizens who ower their advancement in the business world to their own efforts and his life record proves the value of industry and enterprise as factors in a prosperous career. He was born at Hannibal, Missouri, December 3, 1857, his parents being Martin and Dorcas (Piggett) Tice, both of whom were natives of Virginia. The paternal grandfather, David Tice, was likewise born in the Old Dominion and at an early day became a farmer and stock raiser of Missouri, where he resided throughout this remaining days. He died, however, while on a visit at Fort Smith, Arkansas. In his family were five children: Martin, John, Reuben, Mrs. Nancy Sims and Perry. The family were Baptists in religious faith.
Martin Tice spent the days of his boyhood and youth in the state of his nativity and was married there to Miss Dorcas Piggett, after which he began farming in that state. Several children had been born unto them ere their removal to Missouri. The father lived at five different places in that state and about 1878 came to Montague county, Texas, having exchanged his Missouri land for a farm in this locality, to which he afterward added, carrying on the work of cultivation and improvement until his life’s labors were ended in death in 1898. He met with a fair measure of success in tilling the soil and raising stock and in all of his business dealings was strictly honorable, winning the confidence of his fellow men through his unassailable integrity. His wife survived him only ten days and was laid by his side in Mallard cemetery. Both were members of the Baptist church. In their family were the following children: Eliza, the wife of E. Everman, who served in the Union army in the Civil war; James, who enlisted in Missouri as a member of the Union army; David and Cummins, who are living in Oklahoma; Ellen, who became Mrs. Bashurs, and after losing her first husband married John C. Burk; Samuel C.; Mary, deceased; and George, who is engaged in the stock business in Missouri.
Samuel C. Tice was reared in Missouri, remaining under the parental roof until sixteen years of age, when he started out in life on his own account and has since been dependent on his own resources. He came to Texas in 1875, going first to Clarksburg, in Red River county, where he was employed on a farm for nine months. He afterward spent three months as a farm hand in Collin county and later went to Sherman, where he again secured employment at farm labor. He spent the fall and winter of 1876 in that locality and was married there, the lady of his choice being Miss Margaret Terry, who was born in Missouri in 1854, a daughter of David and Mary (Lee) Terry, both of Missouri. The father served as a defender of the Union cause in the Civil war. He was a blacksmith by trade and was detailed to shoe mules and horses and also did service as a miller. He engaged in the milling business after the war and died in Missouri. In 1878 his widow came to Texas and while en route to her old home in Missouri she died in the Indian Territory. Both were devoted members of the Methodist church. They reared a family of seven daughters: Elizabeth, the wife of P. Tice; Mrs. Nancy Smith; Mrs. Mary A. Welch; Mrs. Lou Carr; Margaret, the wife of Samuel C. Tice; Mrs. Martha Cox; and Mrs. Melissa Taylor.
In the spring of 1877 Mr. Tice of this review returned with his wife to his father’s old home farm in Missouri, where he remained for about a year, and then again located at Sherman, Texas, where he engaged in the grocery business. The father afterward brought his family to this state and settled in Montague county. Samuel C. Tice admitted J. H. Buff to a partnership in the grocery business, but after four months sold his interest and removed to Montague county, where he rented a farm and raised a crop. He then purchased the land on which he now resides and improved the place. After ten years, however, he sold out, but he again purchased the property. He had two hundred and forty acres and he has since purchased his father’s homestead farm, so that his realty holdings aggregate four hundred and forty-six acres. Much of this land he now rents. He has given his attention to the tilling of the soil and raising stock and is regarded as an enterprising agriculturist, whose prosperity is attributable entirely to his own efforts. As stated, much of his land is rented, while he gives his attention to his stock and other interests. His business affairs have been very capably conducted and by perseverance he has overcome all difficulties and obstacles in his path, working his way steadily upward to success. He is a stanch Democrat and for twelve years has filled the office of president of the school board, the cause of education finding in him a warm friend. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen camp and in fraternal, political and business circles is highly esteemed.
Unto Mr. Tice by his first marriage were born four children: Russell, now the wife of E. Brown; Rose, the wife of William Gabbart; Clarence, at home; and Maude, at Saint Jo. On the 16th of March, 1905, Mr. Tice was again married, his second union being with Miss Lee Brooks, a daughter of William Brooks, who was born and reared in Texas, and is a farmer and stock raiser residing in Montague county. He votes with the Democracy and is a member of the Baptist church. His children were: Lee, now Mrs. Tice; and Pearl, the wife of G. Watson. The mother died March 9, 1900, and the father afterward married Betty Tryce and resides upon a farm in this county. In presenting the personal history of Samuel C. Tice we give to our readers the history of one of the well known citizens of this part of the state, whose labors have proved the basis of his success and whose record is proof of the fact that gratifying business advancement can be gained through determined and honorable effort.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 674-676.