WILLIAM DRUMMOND CRAIG. For his sincere and high-minded citizenship, for his wisdom and capabilities as a business man, for his culture and moral bearing as a gentleman and for his loving human sympathy and charity as a friend Young county has produced no purer and noble character than the late William D. Craig, who until October 29, 1904, was one of the distinguished among her private citizens and whose passing away marked a sad day in the social and business life of its county seat.
Almost the entire career of Mr. Craig’s business life was passed as a resident of Young county and it was here that his virtues shone brilliantly and it was here, too, the influence of his daily life left an imprint that only time can obliterate. His business relations brought him into contact with all classes and all people and the calcium, light of his example and precept pointed out the true and the right way to one and all alike. Everywhere along his pathway he spread happiness and good-cheer and in his wake invisible results accumulated which shall endure while memory lasts.
Coming hither in 1888, Mr. Craig embarked in the cattle business with his brother, and their interests on Fish creek were considerable during the remainder of his life. Besides his stock interests he was connected with the financial affairs of his community and filled responsible offices in two of the county’s banks. He helped organize the First National Bank of Graham, which afterward liquidated, and was an influence toward the direction of its affairs. His connection with the Beckham National Bank of Graham gave that institution much of its prestige and as its cashier he won a large and desirable patronage.
William D. Craig was born in Plainfield, New Jersey, April 2, 1860, and was a son of Dr. Lewis Craig, who passed a half century in the active practice of medicine in that city. After passing through the Plainfield schools he prepared for college in the Pingry school at Elizabeth and then entered Princeton College. He completed the classical course in that institution in 1882, when he was busied with the affairs of his father’s estate until 1888. He married at Spokane, Washington, September 29, 1893, Miss Elizabeth Graham who was the light of his life and the guardian angle of his household. Their marriage was a union of two hearts that ever beat in perfect harmony and their lives are reflected in the intelligence, the affection and the modest bearing of their offspring. Mrs. Craig was closely allied to the religious work of her town and while her name was on the Presbyterian church rolls all churches were pleased to claim her for her good works, and when she died, February 9, 1901, Graham was a house of mourning. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Craig were Agnes, Mary and Catherine, the jewels of their father’s crown and the last thoughts of his conscious hours. Mr. Craig was an elder of the Graham Presbyterian church and its welfare came in for a good share of his attention and substantial support.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 315-316.