William Riley Kellum came to Texas from Mississippi. He was born in Alabama, December 27, 1817. When a youth his parents moved to Tishmingo county, Miss. He grew up in that county, identified himself with the Baptist church, and married Miss N. J. Cooper, in 1843. In 1854 he came, with his own and his father’s family, to Waco, Texas, where he resided till his death, October 23, 1890. His wife died soon after coming to Texas, and he was married again to Miss M. E. Jurney. Six children, one the child of the first wife, and five presented by his second wife, survive. He was in the organization of the East Waco Baptist church, and had his membership there till God took him. He was one of the earliest members of the First Baptist church at Waco. He was successful in business and accumulated large property. His home was two miles north of Waco, where he owned 900 acres of Brazos valley land. He was many years the senior partner of the firm of Kellum & Rotan, wholesale grocers. His devotion to his church and the Sunday school, of which he was many years the superintendent, deserves special mention. He never failed to attend when not providentially hindered. He was a liberal contributor. He was a deacon at the time the East Waco church was organized, and served the church in that capacity till his death. He was elected a member of the Board of Trustees of Baylor University in 1867. He was a firm friend of University, and contributed largely to its success.
Source: J. L. Walker and C. P. Lumpkin, History of the Waco Baptist Association of Texas (Waco: Byrne-Hill Printing House, 1897), p. 328.