CHARLES C. FERRELL, an active member of the legal profession of Jones county now practicing in Anson, was born at Marion, Williamson county, Illinois, on the 28th of April, 1859. His father, Rev. Wilfred Ferrell, was a native of Raleigh, North Carolina, and became a missionary Baptist preacher, his field of labor being Kentucky, Tennessee and southern Illinois. He was married to Miss Eliza Jane Smith, who was born and reared in Albemarle county, Virginia. He was stationed in Smith county near Nashville, Tennessee, where he was married and from that place he made his customary rounds through the country, proclaiming the gospel to the settlers. Later he removed to Illinois, settling in Marion, Williamson county, about sixty miles north and east of Cairo, and on leaving that state he came to Texas in 1859, establishing his home near Marshall in Harrison county. There he purchased a farm and also embarked in merchandising on his place, where the town of Hallville was afterward built. He was associated in this venture with his brother-in-law, Dr. W. A. Smith, and he successfully carried on business there up to the time of his death, which occurred in April, 1885. In the meantime he devoted many hours each week to religious work, preaching the gospel in various churches and localities, although he never accepted any pay for his services in this direction. He was a most earnest and consistent Christian man, his life being filled with good deeds, so that his memory is cherished and revered by all who knew him. He was twice married, his second wife passing away in August, 1896. By this union were four sons, all of whom reached manhood and are yet living.
This number includes Charles C. Ferrell, who was less than a year old when his parents removed from Illinois to Texas. He was reared at his father’s home near Marshall, and he completed a high school course of study in Hallville, while later he became a student in Waco, now Baylor, University. Subsequently he matriculated in the state university at Austin for the purpose of preparing for the bar and was graduated from the law department in the class of 1887. Thus well equipped for his chosen life work, he practiced for a year in Austin, entering the law office of John Dowell, with whom he was associated in his professional duties. At that time the western and northern portion of the state was enjoying an era of rapid growth and gratifying prosperity and associating himself with J. H. Hargrave, who had been a fellow student with him while in the university at Austin, he went to Greenville, Hunt county, and together as partners they practiced law until January 1, 1890. Mr. Ferrell then decided to change his location in the hope of enjoying a more congenial climate and removing to Jones county located at Anson, where he has since been an active member of the bar. In his law practice he has made a creditable record by reason of his analytical power, logical deductions and clear and cogent reasoning.
Mr. Ferrell was married February 25, 1902, to Miss Rosa D. Freeman, a native of this state, born in Austin. Mr. Ferrell has about twenty-five hundred acres of land pleasantly situated sixteen miles northwest of Anson in Jones county, of which thirteen hundred acres are under cultivation, constituting one of the best farms in the state of Texas. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias lodge at Abilene and is a member of the Missionary Baptist church. He displays excellent business ability in the control of his agricultural interests, while in his profession he is making substantial advancement and gaining a most creditable place as a legal practitioner.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 515-516.