HENRY H. WALKER, well known as a stock farmer and early settler of Montague county, was born in Bossier Parish, Louisiana, October 18, 1847. His father, Harbert Walker, was a native of South Carolina and the grandfather, Joseph R. Walker, was a likewise born in that state. The latter was a planter and slave owner, respected in his community as a reliable business man of broad mind and kindly disposition. In fact, he was a typical gentleman of the old school and his entire life was passed in the state of his nativity, where he was esteemed by all with whom he came in contact. In his family were ten children: John A., Robert, Golifan, Alexander, Harbert, Harriet, Elizabeth, Sarah, Mrs. Ann Holmes and one whose name is forgotten.
Harbert Walker was born in 1810 and died March, 1866, was reared in his father’s home, spending his boyhood days under the parental roof. In early manhood he was united in marriage to Miss Mary C. Martin, a native of Alabama. Little is known concerning the history of her family. She was the third in order of birth, however, in a family of four children, the others being: John, William and Mrs. Ann Bledsoe.
At the time of their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Harbert Walker settled on a cotton plantation in Louisiana and he became a prominent and prosperous planter and slave owner of that locality. He gave his entire attention to the supervision of his business interests and there lived quietly and happily until after the outbreak of the Civil war, which took from him much of the earnings of a lifetime and caused a marked depreciation in the value of his estate, owing to the depredations and ravages of war. He was a secessionist and used his influence in behalf of the Confederacy, but was too old to enter active service as a soldier. In his political affiliation he was a staunch Democrat, but was never an aspirant for office, preferring to give his attention to the management of his plantation. He possessed many sterling traits of character, which won him confidence and warm friendship and he was one of the leading residents of his parish. He died at the old homestead in Louisiana in 1866, while his wife passed away in 1863. They had become the parents of eight children: John, who died in early manhood; Sarah E., the wife of D. T. McDade; Harbert and Edward, both deceased; George W., who served throughout the Civil war as a member of the Confederate army; Jane and Ann, who have likewise passed away, and Henry H., who is now the only surviving member of the family.
Until seventeen years of age Henry H. Walker remained under the parental roof and then in 1864 joined the state troops of Louisiana for the support of the Confederacy. His services were confined to that state, where he did guard, reserve and patrol duty. At length he was paroled at Natchitoches, Louisiana, and returned home. He then resumed work on the old plantation, where he remained until 1867, in which year he was married, the lady of his choice being Miss Ann J. Stinson, who as born in Louisiana in 1850, her parents being Mr. and Mrs. Alexander T. Stinson of Alabama. Her father conducted a grist and saw mill, giving his undivided attention to his business affairs. He also carried on farming to some extent and never divided his time with political office, having no aspiration in that direction. His children by his first wife, Elizabeth Lampkin, were: William, John, Samuel, George, Primmie, who became Mrs. Carlton, and after the death of her first husband married Mr. Stone; Eliza, the wife of R. M. Lewis; Ann J., now Mrs. Walker; Thomas and Zeno. Samuel died while serving in the Civil war as a Confederate soldier and George was also in the service of the south during that war.
A. T. Stinson’s second wife was Martha Lewis Singleton, the mother of five children— Robert, Mollie, Willie, Oscar, David. By a third marriage, to Miss Mary Embry, Mr. Stinson had one son, Charles.
Following his marriage, Mr. Walker settled upon the farm which was a part of the old family homestead and later lived upon other farms until 1874, when he came to Texas, first locating to Cooke county and in August, 1881, took up his abode in Montague county, where he was employed by Mr. Belcher, an extensive cattle rancher, as superintendent of his large cattle ranch. In this business he continued for a number of years and in 1883 he purchased three hundred and ten acres of land from Mr. Belcher, to which he afterward added until he now has four hundred and sixty acres, all purchased form the Belcher ranch tract. It is nicely located, the soil is productive, the fields are well fenced and he has made substantial improvement on the property, having now a commodious residence, good barn and all necessary buildings for the shelter of grain and stock. One hundred and twenty acres of the land is under a high state of cultivation and in connection with general farming and stock-raising interests he has met with a fair measure of success. He has firm faith in the future development of Montague county and he has taken an active part in bringing it up to its present high stand of cultivation. In politics he is a strong Democrat and though well qualified to fill any office within the gift of his fellow townsmen in the county he has always preferred to give his time and energies to this business interests. He was, however, once a candidate for county assessor, but did not make much of a canvass and was defeated by a small majority. He is a past master of Belcher Lodge, A., F. & A. M., and has taken the Royal Arch degrees of the chapter. He belongs to the Missionary Baptist church and both he and his wife are held in high esteem in the community where they reside and where they have a circle of friends almost co-extensive with the circle of their acquaintance.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, pp. 553-554.