James Franklin McLeod biography

ELDER JAMES FRANKLIN McLEOD was the son of a Baptist deacon, was many years pastor in Falls county, Texas. Was born near Roonske, Ala., October 11, 1853. At the age of 9 years he suffered the loss of his mother, a saintly woman. But she made last impressions for good upon her first born and only son. Being made a “new creature” at 16, he was baptized into Bethel church, Chambers county, Ala., by Elder John Cumbee. He was early trained in piety, and applied himself to books, especially the Bible. He took an active part in Sunday schools and prayer meetings, and it was whispered that “Jimmie” would preach. Soon he was “liberated.” For education reasons, James protest against the action of the church, but to no effect. Soon afterward the Bethel church called for his ordination, and he was set apart for the ministry, Elds. John Cumbee, J. C. Burden, R. A. J. Cumbee and Dr. J. P. Shaffer acting as presbytery. During this time he was married to Miss Augusta C. Jordan. The fruits of this union are three daughters and two sons. The oldest and youngest, both girls, are dead. The first years of his ministry were spent in his native state. In October, 1884, he resigned all work there and came to Falls county, Texas, at that time all in the Waco Association. Here, as before, he found an open door. He was a member of the Waco Association till the fall of 1892, and was faithful to attend all its meetings. Has always been in sympathy and co-operation with the general work of the state. He has served some of the most prominent churches in his county, and God has greatly blessed his labors. He has baptized nearly 1,000 persons. “Nothing too hard for God” has been his motto. Modesty, temperance and piety are among his characteristics. He says, “The Lord called him to the ministry to show that He (God) could make of nothing.” The pastorate is his field, and he has served one church successively for 12 years.

Source: J. L. Walker and C. P. Lumpkin, History of the Waco Baptist Association of Texas (Waco: Byrne-Hill Printing House, 1897), pp. 360-362.