DR. JAMES MINOR ALEXANDER, a leading physician of Abilene, was born in Maury county, Tennessee, September 18, 1867. His father, James Franklin Alexander, is represented elsewhere in this work. In his youth Dr. Alexander remained upon his father’s farm and attended the common schools of the home locality, therein mastering the common branches of English learning. After putting aside his text-books he became connected with the drug trade and while thus engaged acquired a good knowledge of chemistry and prescription work. He was thus employed for two years in Hillsboro, Texas, and this led to his desire to become a member of the medical fraternity so that ultimately he matriculated in the Louisville Medical College, at Louisville, Kentucky, from which institution he was graduated in the class of 1889. He then returned to this state for the practice of medicine, opening an office in Victoria, whence he came to Abilene in November, 1889. Here he has since resided, ever seeking for the latest discoveries and modern theories of medicine and surgery. He has at different time pursued post graduate work in the Post Graduate Hospital of New York, and has thus kept in touch with the onward march of his profession. Since locating in Abilene Dr. Alexander has built up a large and lucrative practice and is regarded as an excellent physician and skillful surgeon, having comprehensive knowledge of the principles of medical science which he applies accurately and correctly to the needs of his patients. Recognizing the need of a suitable place where the sick of the western country could receive proper attention he erected in 1904 a sanitarium at the west end of North Fifth street, in Abilene. This is a spacious two-story structure, containing about seventeen rooms and is fitted up with all modern appliances and apparatus, including the X-ray and other electrical equipments. The building is well furnished, lighted throughout with electricity and heated by steam and in fact has every comfort and convenience for its patrons in harmony with the lines of health and sanitation. Dr. Alexander is a member of both the State and Taylor County Medical Associations and his fraternal relations connect him with the Elks, the Woodmen of the World and other societies.
On the 19th of November, 1896, Dr. Alexander wedded Miss Madge Quarles, a daughter of William Quarles, and a native of Charleston, Mississippi. They have one son, James Word Alexander.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, p. 417.