JAMES R. CAMPBELL, attorney at law and justice of the peace in Sherman precinct No. 1, is a native of Sneedville, Hancock county, Tennessee, born December 28, 1847, and a son of Anderson and Belinda Ann (Ely) Campbell. The father was also a native of Tennessee, where his life was spent largely in public office. He served as county clerk, circuit clerk and clerk of the district courts and held the office of sheriff for many years. In these various duties he was prompt and capable and over the record of his official career there fell no shadow of wrong or suspicion of evil. He died from the effects of an accidental wound when sixty-six years of age. His wife was a native of Lee county, Virginia, and was a daughter of Robert and Ann (McPherson) Ely. Her death occurred in Rhea county, Tennessee, in February, 1889, when she was seventy-seven years of age. In the family of this worthy couple were three sons and four daughters, of whom six are living: Mary A., now the widow of W. W. Whittenburg, who was a Confederate soldier and died while being held as a prisoner of war; Martha E., who is living in Bradley county, Tennessee, with her sister, Mrs. Whittenburg; Robert E., who resides in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, where is engaged in the dairy business; Joseph A., who is engaged in merchandizing at Eureka Springs, Arkansas; Sarah J., who died at the age of two years; and Margaret E., the wife of A. F. Whittenburg, of Elm Springs, Arkansas.
James R. Campbell of this review pursued his education at Greasy Rock Academy in Sneedville, Tennessee, and supplemented his more specifically literary education by professional training in Lebanon College Law School at Lebanon, Tennessee. He followed farming and teaching until April, 1890, when he engaged in the regular practice of law at Dayton, Tennessee, and has since devoted his time and energies to professional service. He came to Texas in 1892, first locating in Greer county, whence he afterward removed to McClellan county [sic] and in January, 1899, he came to Grayson county. He engaged in the practice of law at Collinsville until October, 1903, when he came to Sherman, and at the general election in 1904 was chosen justice of the peace.
Mr. Campbell’s business career, however, was interrupted by active service during the Civil war. He enlisted as a member of Company E, Sixty-third Tennessee Regiment in 1863, was wounded at the battle of Chickamauga and was captured by the Union forces. Later he was paroled and returned to his home.
Mr. Campbell has been trice married. He first wedded Rebecca Ellison on the 3rd of August, 1865, in Bradley county, Tennessee, and by this union there were nine children. His second wife was Eliza J. Whittenburg, whom he married March 2, 1890, in Rhea county, Tennessee. She died February 3, 1899, in McClellan county, Texas, and on the 4th of July, 1899, Mr. Campbell was married to Miss Nicie Clouse at Rhea’s Mills, Washington county, Arkansas. He has had thirteen children, of whom ten are living. Tennessee O., who was born in June, 1866, was married and resides at Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Robert A. is also married and makes his home at Eureka Springs. Thomas W. P. and Margaret Alice are also living at Eureka Springs. James Edgar, who was a soldier in the Spanish American war, is now deceased. Elbert J. K. and Benjamin E. are both married and live at Eureka Springs. Belinda Viola died in infancy. Freddie W. is a resident of Eureka Springs. Claude I. and G. A. are at home. Janie Jewel is deceased. Silas Hare is an infant born of the last marriage.
Mr. Campbell is a member of Mystic Lodge No. 12, K. P., also of Camp No. 70, W. O. W. at Collinsville. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and he has always been an active working Democrat. In the profession which he has chose as a life work he has made a creditable name, advancing through study of legal principles and his correctness in their application to the points in litigation.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. I, pp. 640-641.