JUDGE LEIGH CLARK, corporation lawyer of El Paso, is a native son of Mississippi, his birth having occurred in Sharkey county. His parents were John M. and Eliza (Leigh) Clark, both of whom are now deceased, and the father was a planter. The son was reared upon the home plantation in the vicinity of Vicksburg, Mississippi, and attended school in that city. He also entered upon the study of law there in the office of Buch & Clark, the junior partner being his brother, Judge Edward D. Clark. After thorough preliminary reading Leigh Clark was admitted to the bar at Vicksburg in 1876 and practiced law in that portion of his native state until 1884, when he came to El Paso and has since been identified with the bar of this city. El Paso was then in an embryonic condition, there being only three houses here at the time he established his home in Texas. He has served for one term as city attorney. His equipments and legal attainments were such that the railroads and other large corporate interests and he is now general counsel in El Paso for the El Paso Electric Railway, which owns the street railway and the electric company and the electric lighting plant here. This company is the successor of the International Light & Power Company. In addition to his interests as a corporation lawyer Judge Clark also has a good, general private practice and is well versed in the principles of jurisprudence.
Mrs. Clark was in her maidenhood Miss Fannie E. Echols and is a representative of an old and prominent family of Georgia. Unto Judge and Mrs. Clark has been born a daughter, Frances, and the attractive home of the family is celebrated for its gracious and warm hearted hospitality.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), Vol. II, p. 685.