ELDER T. E. MUSE was born near Winchester, Franklin county, Tenn., June 30, 1844. His parents were “Primitive” Baptists, devoted and prominent in church relations. Was baptized into Bethpage Missionary Baptist church in 1858. Served in the Confederate army and was wounded at the battle of Missionary Ridge. Married to Edna E. Johnson January 3, 1867. Ordained to the ministry in May, 1869, the presbytery consisting of Elders A. D. Trimble, pastor; D. B. Stamps, M. B. Clements and J. G. Nash. Moved to Louisiana in December, 1870, and in January, 1872, became pastor of the church at Evergreen, La. In 1876, with his family, moved to Texas, reaching Hill county March 4, of that year. For years served in various pastorates in Hill and Ellis counties. In January, 1885, moved from Hillsboro to Waco for the educational advantages of Waco Baylor University. With the exception of four years’ residence in the pastorate at Eddy, has remained and yet resides in Waco. His pastorates have been successful. A number of church houses have been erected in connection with his labors. In doctrine and polity he is a Landmark Baptist. Was never in a trouble with a church or at material variance with brethren, but in many instances instrumental in relieving and helping others. Has kept a diary of his ministerial life, and from his books can locate the place of preaching every Sabbath since January, 1872, with the text and notes of sermon. Also a record of every candidate baptized. A devoted Christian companion has largely strengthened his efforts, and fully borne the burdens, and shared the trials allotted to the preacher’s wife. Five grown children live to be the comfort and satisfaction and the hope and stay of their future years. Bro. Muse has now passed his meridian, yet his strength is unabated and his zeal and labors are not lessened. Not a moral or doctrinal shadow has ever darkened his life. He is truly one of the Lord’s noblemen.
Source: J. L. Walker and C. P. Lumpkin, History of the Waco Baptist Association of Texas (Waco: Byrne-Hill Printing House, 1897), pp. 374-376.