ELDER W. B. EAVES, a warm-hearted preacher and indefatigable worker, was born in Montgomery county, Alabama, November 19, 1819. He was baptized by Elder Levy Parks, in Perry county, Alabama, in the year 1843. He was made deacon by the Memphis church, in Pickens county, in 1846. In 1852 he came to Burleson county, Texas, and united with Providence church. He was ordained to the gospel ministry October 30, 1853, by a presbytery composed of R. E. B. Baylor, David Fisher, J. G. Thomas and S. G. O’Bryan. He had but very little education, and he struggled with his convictions for quite a while before entering the ministry. His brethren in Alabama had a habit of putting him forward, and he came to Texas to escape. But he found it not better here. We quote from Link’s Magazine: “His first effort was in a log cabin the post oaks, where he thought no Christian was present. He preached at 11 o’clock, and was induced to make another appointment at night, when several were converted. This gave him encouragement. The meeting was continued, and thirty-seven professed conversion. Elder David Fisher was sent for to baptize them. They were organized into a church, which called for the ordination of Bros. Eaves.” Elder Eaves was in the organization of Waco Association, as a delegate from Marlin church, and served on the committee that had under consideration the Articles of Faith. He was several years pastor of Marlin church, and held many precious revivals there and elsewhere. He was a mechanic, a real genius, and his won hands ministered to his necessities. He lived to a ripe old age, and then went home to live with Jesus.
Source: J. L. Walker and C. P. Lumpkin, History of the Waco Baptist Association of Texas (Waco: Byrne-Hill Printing House, 1897), pp. 298-299.