W. M. SALMON, who is ranked with the prominent farmers and stockmen of Montague county, Texas, is a native of the Lone Star state. Mr. Salmon was born in Rusk county, Texas, December 28, 1866, son of John L. and Martha (Linchacum) Salmon, both natives of North Carolina. His parents were married in North Carolina, and in 1846 came from there to Texas, settling in Rusk county, where the father bought a large tract of land, and improved a farm and had extensive cattle interests. Also he conducted a country store on his place. He owned a number of slaves, and carried on his operations successfully up to the time of the Civil war. The war cost him the savings of a lifetime and robbed his heirs of the vast estate that would have been theirs. He was a Democrat and an ardent secessionist, but, physically was not strong, and took no active part in the war. Fraternally he was a Mason. Both his brothers, Thomas and Edward, also settled in Texas, and, like him, became honored and respected citizens. He died at his homestead in 1880. Some time after his death his widow moved to Gainesville, where she remained until death claimed her, in 1893, at the age of sixty-five years. She was a member of the Christian church. Her father was one of the early settlers and well-to-do farmers of Rusk county. Her brother Row, the only member of the Linchacum family now living, occupies the old homestead in Rusk county. The children of John L. and Martha Salmon are: Mrs. Laura Birdwell; William G., M. D., who died July 3, 1887; Mrs. Susan Galloway; Martha Wilson; Mrs. Fanny Williams; and W. M., whose name introduces this sketch.
W. M. Salmon, being the youngest of the family and his boyhood days being passed on the pioneer farm in Rusk county, did not have the educational advantages that the other members of the family enjoyed. After the death of his father, his mother moved to Gainesville, where his brother, William G., for some years had been engaged in the practice of medicine and had leased the March ranch near Spanish Fort and was interested in the cattle business. In 1883 W. M. Salmon went to work as an assistant on the ranch and remained there until after his brother’s death in 1887, at which time he had control of the stock and everything pertaining to the farm. In 1890 he disposed of most of the stock and moved the rest to lands owned by the family, near Nocona, where he now lives, and to which he has added by subsequent purchase until his holdings comprise at this writing no less than 2,540 acres, four hundred acres being under cultivation. He has made many substantial improvements, including commodious residence, three tenant houses, other farm buildings, wind mills, orchard, etc. Having the most of his land rented, Mr. Salmon gives his chief attention to his cattle, his herd averaging four hundred head. Also he owns a fine stallion and jack and raises horses and mules.
Politically Mr. Salmon is a Democrat, and fraternally he is identified with both the Masonic order and the Fraternal Brotherhood.
May 3, 1889, he married the widow of his brother, Dr. William G., Mrs. Mattie H. (Walker) Salmon. She was born in Tennessee in 1861, only child of Dr. Addison Walker and wife Mentlo, nee Sutton, both natives of Tennessee. It was while on a visit to Texas with her uncle that she formed the acquaintance of Dr. Salmon. Her grandfather, Addison Walker, Sr., was a prominent farmer and slave owner of Tennessee. His children were John P., a physician of Missouri, Mrs. Mary Balcom and Addison. By her first marriage, Mrs. Salmon had one child, Mariah, born May 23, 1880, and now the wife of Thomas Hoben, a prominent rancher of Montague county. The children of the second marriage are: Harold, born May 20, 1890; Fred, June 21, 1892; Helen, July 8, 1894; Fred, June 21, 1892; Helen, July 8, 1894; Raymond, August 3, 1896; Thelma, July 8, 1899; and Wilburn, July 7, 1902.
Source: B. B. Paddock, History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas, Vol. II (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1906), pp. 104-105.